Issues Testing Installing Whonix 16 in Qubes 4.1 (beta)

I recently reinstalled qubes and restored whonix-16 from backup and it seems to work fine. I assume simply downloading the template from qubes-templates-community and reassigning the associated whonix-15 AppVM also works.

itā€™s great all the work, and yet, this has been a pattern with previous releases freezing with the master invokation,

I donā€™t mind waiting overnight, but would like a warning, ofc, if it freezes a PC with 32GB Ram, well maybe there werenā€™t enough testers to do any betterā€¦

in my case, running the sys-whonix and the appVM ends up limiting how many other appVM sessions I can run, so ā€¦

did you install via sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-foo-template or run the monster script again ?

in the past when I used the whonix forum, despite the very low traffic, it was an unpleasant experience, YMMV

Yesterday, I cloned the whonix-gw-15 template, named the clone whonix-gw-16 and then upgraded inside the new template with

release-upgrade

changed sys-whonix to new template, so far workstations and gateway work flawlessly.

(thatā€™s on Qubes 4.0.4 still)

I was successful in installing Whonix 16 on Qubes 4.1 but it seems there is a communication issue between anon-whonix and sys-whonix. I can see the deamon listening on port 9108 and 9150 on sys-whonix, but requests from anon-whonix donā€™t get there. The last time I see sth is on the anon-whonix iptables OUTPUT chain (hitting an ACCEPT rule) but then nothing comes into sys-whonix (no iptables hits, nothing to be seen using tcpdump). Obviously anon-whonix is using sys-whonix as NetVM.

Has anyone else seen this?

I donā€™t know if itā€™s related but these days I always end up with systemd-socket-proxyd frying my CPU in the whonix-ws (100% cpu). It seems to be running on /lib/systemd/systemd-socket-proxyd 10.152.152.10:9150

Iā€™ve not been able to find a solution.

It may be best to address this at the whonix forum to it gets Whonix developerā€™s attention.