Issues Testing Installing Whonix 16 in Qubes 4.1 (beta)

Does anyone know if whonix 16 for qubes still in test or is it ready to go live and replacing whonix15?

Thank you

whonix 16 for qubes is still in testing

It’s a “staged release.” You can find out more here (and from the comments and links contained in these issues):

3 Likes

Great to know and thank you guys.

Now released :slightly_smiling_face:

update: whonix 16 for qubes is released!

does this make sense to you? I have -15 installed , 1st it says it doesn’t matter, then it says it Does … sigh
Qubes-Whonix ™ 15 to Qubes-Whonix ™ 16 Release Upgrade Note: If Qubes-Whonix ™ 15 is installed and you want to get Qubes-Whonix ™ 16, there is no need to uninstall Qubes-Whonix ™ 15 before proceeding. This is because the new templates (whonix-ws-16, whonix-gw-16) will be installed alongside the old templates (whonix-ws-15, whonix-gw-15).

In that case, after Qubes-Whonix ™ 15 Templates installation, App Qubes previously using Qubes-Whonix ™ 15 templates will keep using them. Templates of any App Qubes are not automatically changed to the newly installed Qubes-Whonix ™ 16 templates. [1] The rationale behind this is to avoid unexpected changes of the Template an App Qube is using without the user’s consent. [2] The user may manually change any Template still using Qubes-Whonix ™ 15 Templates to the Qubes-Whonix ™ 16 Templates. [3]

If you are already running any version of Qubes-Whonix ™, it must be uninstalled before a complete (re-)installation is performed. This applies to those who:

Selected Qubes-Whonix ™ auto-configuration when Qubes was installed.
Installed Qubes-Whonix ™ after installing the Qubes platform.

Before re-installation, back up any existing data stored in Whonix VMs.

In summary, three options are available (listed in order of preference):

Uninstall Qubes-Whonix ™ and then Install Qubes-Whonix ™; OR
Reinstall the Whonix ™ Template; OR
Release Upgrade Whonix 15 to Whonix 16

Yes all the 3 options they listed was a bit confusing. This is what I did to migrate from 15 to 16. The last script takes a long time with no progress window.

sudo qubes-dom0-update
sudo nano /srv/formulas/base/virtual-machines-formula/qvm/whonix.jinja
change 15 to 16
save the file
sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix

It seems to work now. I don’t seem to see any dom0 errors anymore.

yes, i already don’t see any errors

so you didn’t uninstall anything?

think I’ll wait till its less vague

I manually deleted the 15 templates and 15 AppVMs. The script creates new 16 AppVMs, except you might have to manually attach sys-whonix to whonix-gw-16. You could also check the global settings if there’s anything that needs updating to 16. As far as I know these are simple changes.

I think the 3 command lines above is the less vague route. You might not need to do step 2. When I checked, whonix.jinja was already updated to 16 through regular updates.

sounds like this one:

Release Upgrade Whonix 15 to Whonix 16

@joe.blough thanks, I will be doing what you what you posted!!

sudo qubes-dom0-update
change 15 to 16
save the file

Yes they made it confusing and they really didnt need too. I had to reread their pricess a few times.

The last script takes a long time with no progress window… So how do you know when it’s done then??

I manually deleted the 15 templates and 15 AppVMs…So you did this after you upgraded to 16??

@adw thanks for you’re continued support.

Is it still valid that whonix 16 is not compatible with Qubes 4.1? I tried a quick install on my 4.1, and failed, using these instructions:

sudo qubes-dom0-update
change 15 to 16
save the file
`sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix

Does anyone reading this have guidance?

thanks in advance.

partially solved. It seems that some have found a work around:

It spits out a log of the changes on the terminal when it’s done. I made a backup of 15 and 16, waited for a day and deleted 15.

I’m on 4.04. I don’t know if there are separate 4.1 instructions.

@joe.blough No I have not done the upgrade yet, still using old 15. But I will this weekend sometime.
My plan is upgrade to 16 but still use 15 for a day or so until I feel that it is good to fully stitch over.
But again thanks fo the sudo qubes-dom0-update
change 15 to 16
save the file

One more thing, I do “delete” the old “anon-whonix” after upgrade or does it switch over to new version?

It creates a new one. You can manually switch over the old if you don’t want to redo the customizations.