Issues installing signal with Qubes 4.1. Bullseye instead of xenial in main?

It is indeed great when users are inspired and motivated to contribute to the community. I am especially honored whenever I was the inspiration.

When users like myself see posts that don’t improve the conversation go unmoderated despite being flagged as such, the only inspiration and/or motivation to be had is to stop contributing.

Offtopic

I am happy I invoked the content of your posts to be more helpful to the community. That is what matters.

For completeness sake, here’s some additional bash to help install LibreWolf:

#!/bin/bash
# 0. Install requirements
cd /tmp
apt install wget -y

# 1. Verify & install official public software signing key
export https_proxy=127.0.0.1:8082
wget -O- https://deb.librewolf.net/keyring.gpg | gpg --with-colons --import-options show-only --import --fingerprint | grep pub
read -p "Accept? (Y/n) " approve; approve=${approve:-Y}; if [[ "$approve" != [Yy] ]]; then exit; fi
wget -O- https://deb.librewolf.net/keyring.gpg | gpg --dearmor -o /usr/share/keyrings/librewolf.gpg

# 2. Add our repository to your list of repositories
echo 'deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/librewolf.gpg] https://deb.librewolf.net bullseye main' | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/librewolf.list

# 3. Update your package database and install librewolf
apt update && apt install librewolf -y

# 4. Remove requirements
apt remove wget -y
apt autoremove -y
2 Likes
Offtopic

If genuinely concerned with the community, please focus on serving said community and Don’t post no-content replies

When installing in debian-11-minimal, most probably the OP would want to consider using --no-install-recommends flag when using apt install.
I’ve seen some installs reduced up to 60% by using it.

When installing in debian-11-minimal , most probably the OP would want to consider using --no-install-recommends flag when using apt install .
I’ve seen some installs reduced up to 60% by using it.

Yet more misinformed top posting FUD from champion of …

Please disregard said misinformation as, this will certainly lead to a non-functional install of the Signal Desktop package.

This has definitely not been verified by the one who speaks much & does little so, yet again, more misinformation …

Should the user’s intent be to minimize install footprint, it ought be noted that the above linked post specifies:

apt install --no-install-recommends curl qubes-app-shutdown-idle qubes-core-agent-networking qubes-usb-proxy qubes-core-agent-nautilus nautilus zenity gnome-keyring policykit-1 libblockdev-crypto2 dunst xfce4-notifyd -y

Which when signal-desktop is included leads to an install footprint of:
774 MB of additional disk space used.

Whereas:

apt install signal-desktop -y

Incurs an install footprint of:
506 MB of additional disk space used.

Awesome cayce!!! Gonna try it out. Hope you have a good week. Peace out and thanks very much for the detailed answer. :slight_smile: That helps. Awesome.

1 Like

So yeah… i just casually deleted a debian-minimal template hehe… Doh on that one… But yeah i’m fixing update issues…
Are they installed by default? How do i create a new one in the easiest way? I have not tried this yet, i’m about to… I just deleted an debian minimal… Gotta restore it. thanks
edit: found my answer… sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-debian-11-minimal

thanks anyways

1 Like

Hey, I meant of this part of the quoted message above,

which produces

user@disp5812:~$ sudo apt install --no-install-recommends signal-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libnspr4 libnss3 libxss1 libxtst6
Recommended packages:
  libappindicator3-1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libnspr4 libnss3 libxss1 libxtst6 signal-desktop
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 20 not upgraded.
Need to get 122 MB of archives.
After this operation, 426 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

And I meant on not increasing attack surface unnecessarily, not to minimize install footprint.

1 Like

@cayce I think you should really go and read this. It’s obvious that you have good intention and are contributing to the community, why can’t you manage to see comments from others (like @enmus) in the same light?

Your posts have great value and they would be even better if you could just stop talking down to people. I don’t know how old you are or which culture you come from, but around here no one will respect you MORE for this – quite the opposite.

1 Like

Maybe you selected the wrong text to quote?

Reads very clearly as polite positivity falling well within the CoC

If you won’t believe me, than believe the results of an objective sentiment analysis tool. :blush:

Whereas this does not …

The above post violates the exact same "standards" it's trying to call for?

@Sven I think you should really go and follow that … as opposed to trying/failing to shame me by publicly trolling without value add to the conversation instead of a PM in violation of the exact standards you’re waving a flag about.

@Sven It’s obvious that you too have good intention and are contributing to the community, why can’t you nanny moderate comments from others (like @enmus) which clearly violate the “Improve the discussion” guideline in the same light?

If this isn’t the pot calling the kettle black, please lead by example; enough with this “do as I say, not as I do” and stop trying to bait me by trolling.

Just WOW dogging age AND culture in direct violation of Our Pledge of the CoC in a single line? Immmmmpressive, bravo, well done!

Forget about MORE respect; this garners NO respect where “I come from”.

Per “Our Pledge”:
“In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we as contributors and maintainers pledge to make participation in our project and our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, level of experience, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, sexual identity and orientation, or other characteristic.”

The experience thus far has been fairly welcoming by most users aside from @mods and the single user they encourage & support as they troll and spread FUD & dis/misinformation against forum guidelines & CoC. Quite the contrary for you lot; solid hypocritical, biased, nanonannying toward myself while while championing valueless posts, FUD & trolling by example. TBH, it’s kind of doing me head in.

If you want me to edit every post I ever made, then give me the ability or kindly stop whining over spilled milk.

By putting helpful in quotes that way, you’re making it look as if it isn’t helpful–in that context it’s equivalent to allegedly or so-called as in so-called help.

(Yes, I know some people think the quotes add emphasis…that’s a mistake on their part.)

Also “local genius” came across as sarcasm.

Amazed at how a technical (did I do my emphasis properly there?!?!) forum is over the top with it’s focus on cliques and etiquette; beyond reproach, beyond comical, beyond it’s own standards. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Great job @enmus! This will certainlynot increasing attack surface unnecessarily”! You are 100% correct, you win!

Because execution of `signal-desktop` errors out with:

signal-desktop: error while loading shared libraries libatk-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks SO much :heart_hands: for the inspiration! I’ve often been suspicious that libappindicator3 had some RCEs in there somewhere …

age & culture

Ok, that’s a good example. You can read that two ways…

a) me trying to cut you some slack and looking for ways to explain your behavior (which frankly leads to lots of off-topic discussion no one including myself is very interested in)

b) me trying to use age or culture as something negative

The only difference between these two is your view of the world and everyone in it. There is a certain kind of personality that is very quick in identifying issues with others and how that is affecting them while being entirely unaware or disinterested in how their own behavior is received by others.

Dude, seriously:

Enough with the passive aggressive bullying.
It’s okay to be human.
It’s okay to be wrong.

• Have a glass of water
  • Have a cigar
  • Take some breathes
  • Take a chill pill
  • Take a long look in the mirror

Thanks again… I tried this now and i got signal to install actually! But it has no internet… It should not matter what i put in the settings right, on the AppVM am i right?
I just need to get internet to signal, then it will work. Any ideas? Thanks

edit: I saw you wrote some about the attack surface… Is this insecure compared to installing signal in a normal debian template or what…
Anyways… did i miss to install some proxy or something… Why don’t signal connect… The appVM should just be able to use anything i choose right? Or do i need to install some network tools because it’s a minimal template perhaps? Thanks