Hi QubesOS community,
I’m having some major issues performing what i thought would be a simple action- creating a desktop shortcut for a piece of software. I’ve revised and attempted everything all day with no luck. Hoping someone in the community can help …
Here’s what i’m trying to achieve:
Download and install a piece of software (cryptomator) into a templateVM (Fedora-33) for use across all fedora VMs with easy accessibility through a standard desktop shortcut visible in the Qube Manager Applications (like Firefox, Screenshot etc)
So far i’ve had major trouble understanding the documentation and numerous guides that advise to create .desktop files in dom0 and in local VMs after creating subdirectories.
Where i’m at after having given up;
- I have downloaded the cryptomator AppImage and verified file with keys etc.
- I transferred the file from an insecure VM into templateVM (fedora-33) and moved the file into a directory I created: ~/AppImage/cryptomator-1.5.xxx.AppImage
- I gave the applications chmod permissions and tested it works by right clicking and running the application (in the fedora-33 templateVM)
- I read through qubes documentation and attempted to create a .desktop file (given the download didn’t come with any of the mentioned configuration that automatically sets this up) but was unable to due to not having permissions to create files in the /usr/share/applications folder (which I navigated to, through fedora-33 file management program)
- I read elsewhere that I could create the same .desktop file in /local/share/applications; which i did after having to create the ‘applications’ folder; for the parameters, I copied a dropbox.desktop file that i could see in the dom0 /share/applications folder and updated some of the parameters
- Now i’m at the point where I’ve updated and can see the “cryptomator” desktop shortcut in the list of applications on the templateVM (and on other VMs that use that template), however, when clicked from the menu, the shortcut does nothing- and for some reason, the icon i have as part of the .desktop file is not showing, instead I see the standard qubesVM lock image; despite the path being correct to ~/Pictures/myimage.png
The last piece of the puzzle i’ve spent hours trying to crack is how to link the AppImage with the desktop shortcut (which i think i have created properly in fedora-33 template VM /local/share/applications) so that when I click it, it performs the same action as when i right-click and ‘run’ the AppImage.
Hopefully my post is not too long! I thought it best to outline all of the steps i’d taken as i’m relatively new to QubesOS and still learning much of the architecture.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!