Is there a way to turn off the search bar in Qube Manager?

The Qube Manager seems very flexible in turning on/off displaying of almost every feature, except turning off the search bar. I’ll never use it. My old laptop resolution is limited. I’d really like to reclaim that space.

not yet I guess! There are some other request round the qubes manager, which still should be set up (i.e. dark mode for the entire manager).

I hope this still is in process and will be added in future dom0 updates…

1 Like

I confirm.

@oldschool See the source code [1], suppressing the search bar (searchContainer) is simple by yourself, between the 61 and 97 line numbers for my version [2]. Don’t forget to do a backup copy of the file…

[1] /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/qubesmanager/ui_qubemanager.py

[2]

rpm -qf /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/qubesmanager/ui_qubemanager.py
qubes-manager-4.1.22-1.fc32.noarch
2 Likes

Hi, thanks for replying, I appreciate that!

I commented out lines 61 thru 97 (after making a copy) and now the Qube Manager doesn’t start.

I put it back to normal. Working again.

I noticed there are both a qubesmanager.py and a ui_qubesmanager.py, and the qubesmanager.py imports the ui file. I haven’t programmed in years, but I’m reading both files. I think I’m in the right place though.

Do it by small steps and try to understand the source code.

Step #1 : comment the #97 line:

97c97
<         self.gridLayout.addLayout(self.searchContainer, 0, 0, 1, 1)
---
>         #self.gridLayout.addLayout(self.searchContainer, 0, 0, 1, 1)

You will get a runnable Qube Manager with a much smaller (and a bit buggy-displayed) search bar.

Also, launch the Qube Manager from a terminal to see the eventually errors.

1 Like

Thanks, that works! Just comment out line 97 does this:

any admin reading this, if you like, please move this thread to support and flag it solved

thanks

done