Is it still possible to install Whonix 15

I have a piece of software I need that isn’t working on Whonix 16, but did work in Whonix 15. Running

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-whonix-15

only gives me the result

Error: Unable to find match: qubes-template-whonix-15

Is it still possible to install Whonix 15 despite the fact that it’s deprecated?

try sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-whonix-gw-15 qubes-template-whonix-ws-15

That doesn’t work either. Running

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-whonix-16

doesn’t work either. I must be missing something obvious.

have you enable community repo ? try this
sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community qubes-template-whonix-gw-15 qubes-template-whonix-ws-15

This worked! Thanks. Do I need to user a sys-whonix based on whonix-gw-15 or will an appVM based on whonix-ws15 work with sys-whonix based on whonix-gw-16

If you never configure anything on your sys-whonix, simply change templates would be okay.

1 Like

I’m having same issue. App I used in WS-15 won’t work in WS-16. So am I understanding correctly that a WS-15 VM will work with sys whonix GW 16?

Why wouldn’t it? It’s just another VM using sys-whonix as netVM.

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community qubes-template-whonix-gw-15 qubes-template-whonix-ws-15

Any idea why this doesn’t work on my machine? I am running 4.1 with testing repos. Maybe there a config file I also need to change? (obviously I’m running that as two separate commands)

Did you try via qvm-template-gui? What the errors are?

in 4.1 you need to enable ‘community testing’ repo.

1 Like

Thank you!

To clarify for other 4.1 users, the following commands will download the respective templates:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-whonix-gw-15

and

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-whonix-ws-15
1 Like

“not found”

The above commands are required in 4.1

That is why I wrote to you to try qvm-template-gui.

In Index of /repo/yum/r4.1/templates-community/rpm/

there is no whonix-15s anymore.

You run it and at the same time you know what repositories you enabled, and what templates are available there.