Iptables not available in sys-net in Qubes OS 4.2.1

Hello,

I have discovered that “iptables” is not available anymore in Qubes OS 4.2.1. I used it in Qubes 4.1.2 to declare 1 PREROUTING, FORWARD, POSTROUTING rule. Of course, I had to re-issue the commands again after a restart.
The thing now is that iptables is not instaled on sys-net anymore. Is there another app that took its place?

I installed iptables and my rules don’t seem to work, plus after restart I need to reinstall the iptables again.

Any solutions?

Iptables was replaced with nftables so you’ll need to change you iptables rules to nftables ones.
You can check the examples here:

@apparatus - you are everywhere. Thank you for your time and support answering to my requests.

But is this something new? I do remember the Firewall tab for any AppVM. What you sent is the same thing or different and only at sys-firewall level implemented?

There are some examples for using nftables firewall and its rules in Qubes OS 4.2.1.
For example, you can compare “Enabling networking between two qubes” part of the guide for Qubes OS 4.1 and Qubes OS 4.2:

And there would be iptables and nftables rules that will do the same thing and you can understand how to convert your iptables rules to the nftables rules properly.
You can also check this as an example of iptables->nftables conversion: