Intel VPRO or No VPRO?

When you have the choice is non-vpro preferable over a V-pro CPU when selecting a modern computer?

I always by default sought out non-pro CPU since they do not have the Intel Management Engine (ie. AMT) on the CPU. Is anything else that is important? All 12th gen non-vpro CPUs continue to support VT-d, VT-x and EPT which i know is important so i thought no reason to suspect issue with compatibility and Qubes.

The only thing I can see it matters is that it does not support Intel TXT which is only relevant for AEM. But for current year laptops like Thinkpad P16 how much does that even matter? All new thinkpads only support TPM2.0 according to specs (AEM only works 1.2) and do these computers even support booting Qubes in legacy/non-UEFI mode anymore?

It also does not have Intel Total Memory encryption is only other thing I see that is potentially relevant. To be honest I don’t know how important or reliable this technology is or whether its compatible with Qubes ?

I know with some older intel CPUs is software that lets you neutralize the management engine so in those cases maybe it does not matter but for those presented with choice between a non-vpro and vpro cpu (e.g. thinkpad p16) when configuring a current gen computer for order (i.e. tpm 2.0) what is the general recommendations of Qubes Community?

Maybe @Sven will answer. I be cheap (enjoy hobo pillows) :laughing:

If not read yet →

Think renehoj right when wrote

I don’t think it’s impossible that none of the CPU features are needed for AMT, and that it can run on any version of IME as long as you have a chipset that supports AMT. My guess would be that the chipset and not the CPU decides if you can use AMT

Edit: found and added pillow link

2 Likes

+2 :wink: