`Insufficient free space` when upgrading to Qubes 4.1

Following the docs on upgrading to 4.1, I’m currently on 4.0, running it on Lenovo X230.

Running sudo qubes-dist-upgrade --all --keep-running sys-firewall, I’m getting this error:

---> (STAGE 0) Adjusting LVM thin pool metadata size...
  Rounding size to boundary between physical extents: 244.00 MiB.
  Insufficient free space: 3 extents needed, but only 0 available

Any ideas on how to solve this, or at least figure out what the problem is?

I tried to increase the disk space for sys-whonix (the vm downloading the update, I think), but that didn’t help.

I tried to decrease disk space for one of the big vms (thinking maybe all the disk space was already allocated for the vms), but that only messed up that vm:-) and didn’t help either.

Disk space in dom0:

$ df -h
Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                     1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs                        2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                        2.0G  1.5M  2.0G   1% /run
tmpfs                        2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root  174G  5.3G  160G   4% /
tmpfs                        2.0G   16K  2.0G   1% /tmp
xenstore                     2.0G  472K  2.0G   1% /var/lib/xenstored
/dev/sda1                    976M  209M  700M  23% /boot
tmpfs                        392M  8.0K  392M   1% /run/user/1000
$ sudo lvs | head
  LV                                                VG         Attr       LSize   Pool   Origin                                           Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  pool00                                            qubes_dom0 twi-aotz-- 229.34g                                                         63.72  43.95                           
  root                                              qubes_dom0 Vwi-aotz-- 177.46g pool00                                                  5.14                                   
  root-autosnap                                     qubes_dom0 Vri---tz-k 177.46g pool00 root                                                                                    
  root-autosnap.tick                                qubes_dom0 Vri-a-tz-- 177.46g pool00                                                  4.54                                   
  swap                                              qubes_dom0 -wi-ao----   7.68g                                                                                                
  vm-anon-whonix-private                            qubes_dom0 Vwi-a-tz--   2.00g pool00 vm-anon-whonix-private-1660940875-back           25.12                                  
  vm-anon-whonix-private-1660940875-back            qubes_dom0 Vwi-a-tz--   2.00g pool00                                                  29.21                                  
  vm-anon-whonix-private.tick                       qubes_dom0 Vri-a-tz--   2.00g pool00                                                  0.21                                   
  vm-bx-private                                qubes_dom0 Vwi-a-tz--  14.00g pool00 vm-bx-private-1664822207-back               67.45                                  

Relevant: https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/4-1-not-enough-space-to-install-solved

I remove two template vms, each over 1GB, but it didn’t help. So clearly I don’t know what space is needed?

Tried to install kde-partitionmanager. It’s showing 1 device (ATA Samsung SSD), and 2 partitions:

• /dev/sda1 ext4 (mounted /boot), 276M of 1G used
  • /dev/sda2 lvm2 pv [luks] (unmounted) 237G

Any advice how to figure out where do I need more space?

Closing the loop how I finally solved it:
Using sudo qubes-dist-upgrade -s -y rather than --all, and also changin sys-whonix to use sys-net for networking (so that I didn’t need to use sys-firewall). Suddenly there wasn’t an error about insufficient free space.

Weird. Big thanks to @51lieal for helping me out.

1 Like

I marked your last post as the answer / solution to your question @crowphale, so that people with the same question can find the answer more easily. Please feel free to correct me or undo of you don’t feel that was the right thing to do. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like