Installing Windows11 on OEM PC

I installed windows-template on my PC. I got several questions along the process.

  • I did not realize my package of the PC did not contain the license number of windows.
  • I did not look for the license number. Instead, I initialized the built-in drive.
  • I missed the license number when I began to use the installer of windows11 for initializing windows-template.
  • Indeed, the package did not include the product-key (a kind of license number).
  • I booted from the Recovery-USB and tried wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey on the command prompt to verify the license number. (It could be because I had turned off Secure boot.)
  • I tried to use the powershell but I could not find it on the Recovery-USB.
  • I had no option but reinstall windows11 by using the Recovery-USB. (I made it by habit. Everyone does not have this habit.)
  • On windows 11, I opened “Settings->System->Activation”. But the license number was not there. (This seems to be the case of OEM version of PC and digital license of windows 11.)
  • I logged in my Microsoft account. It had a data of my PC. But, it does not show the license number. (This could be because the license was not digital license.)
  • On windows 11 with Secure boot, I used the command wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey and found the license number.
  • I installed Qubes OS again, downloaded the installer of windows11 and tried to start a qube by that installer.
  • The installer refused installation claiming Secure boot is disabled. This could have been after I typed in the license number.
  • I looked followed instructions from the forum and I disabled Secure boot (and some more) by BypassTPMCheck, BypassSecureBootCheck and BypassRAMCheck. A difference was that I performed these on the start up of the installer of windows11 in a qube.
  • I experienced failure of check of ISO-image of the installer of Qubes OS. I found the reason in the forum. (I cannot prevent the mistake of booting Windows11 while USB-memory is plugged.)
  • I will test use of write-protection of USB-memory concerning windows11 modifying USB-memory.

I am creating the installer-USB by macBook so notch for write-protection of USB-memory helps. This is really important my macBook is used in a vulnerable way. I need the image checked before installing Qubes OS.

For users moving from windows, some more documentation will be helpful.

  • Need of recording the license number of Windows11 before initializing the built-in drive. The license number is in the package, microsoft account, or in a secret part controlled by Secure boot option of UEFI-boot settings (a kind of BIOS screen). It is not always accessible through Settings->System->Activation.
  • Those options of the installer of the windows11 needs to be disabled.
  • Windows11 modifying USB-memory, even the USB-memory with ISO-image.

Did I miss these three points in the official documentation?