Installing Qubes results in Base object has no attribute _conf after the Installer screen

Hi, happy to join this forum and the forum bot introduction was the best!

I tried for some hours to find things in the installation guides and also tried searching. As I am new to Qubes and somewhat limited with Linux, I may have missed the correct information. Also, I am unable to follow some of the instructions, e.g.

• I don’t know how to attach the log files to a support request, or how to copy the text from the screen to type it here. All I have is the low quality picture below.
  • “Enter Grub, move selection onto first choice, press Tab” → I don’t know how to enter Grub
  • at the message “Pane is dead” I can switch to the shell and enter some commands, but the keyboard layout is wrong (should be de), I don’t know how to fix that.

I expect to be good with Linux and shell for daily use, just not so much for troubleshooting.

I use Intel Celeron N4020, that means IntelVT-d and IntelVT-x with EPT are supported, and the Intel UHD Graphics 600 is not Nvidia, so the hardware should be fine.

I managed to create a booting USB device using Rufus from Windows, and it will get me to the Qubes installer screen. I can select Install Qubes, and the installation process will display these messages:

Installing Qubes results in ‘Base’ object has no attribute ‘_conf’ after the Installer screen, then the message “Pane is dead” appears.

Please respond to any of these questions:

• Should I report this issue as a bug? What information need to be included in such a report?
  • Does it make sense to try different options to create the initial USB drive with Rufus? I tried both MBR/GPT options, and both NTFS/Fat32 options. I could try ISO instead of dd if that might help. Instructions also mention to try different USB device brands.
  • I have the choice to plug the USB directly or via USB hub (mostly to protect the female USB port on the laptop from over-usage). As both are recognized and bootable, there is no other difference expected, is this correct?
  • Do you have any idea how I might continue successfully? When is the time to try a different Linux distribution?
  • Instructions for the missing skills mentioned above?
  • Any other comments or questions?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, that you have such an experience…

Unfortunately i cannot help you with that problem, however i want to try answer your questions:

Does it make sense to try different options to create the initial USB drive with Rufus? I tried both MBR/GPT options, and both NTFS/Fat32 options. I could try ISO instead of dd if that might help. Instructions also mention to try different USB device brands.

Good, that you tried MBR/GPT. That can break stuff. Usually: If your stick boots and passes the self test, it is fine. But what could very well break stuff is if you booted int UEFI or legacy mode! Try this, but in your specific case this might not be the problem. Would try anyways.

Also: If you have not tried it, let the stick verify its integrity before installing.

I have the choice to plug the USB directly or via USB hub (mostly to protect the female USB port on the laptop from over-usage). As both are recognized and bootable, there is no other difference expected, is this correct?

Yes.

Do you have any idea how I might continue successfully? When is the time to try a different Linux distribution?

That is a tough question… depends 100% on you and what you want. For me personally: As there is nothing like qubes, just going for “another distro” is pretty much a non option.

I hope, somebody can actually help you with the troubleshooting, i certainly don’t feel to confident in that.

Thank you for your kind response. From your response and the lack of other responses I conclude, that Qubes is not for me at this moment. Also I found that Qubes needs more RAM than I have available, I overlooked that at the system requirements.

I will quit Qubes and use some other solution.

have you check that the installation medium is not corrupted ?
make sure vt-x and vt-d are enabled in your bios.
then try redownload qubes 4.1, use rufus, gpt, fat32, write in dd mode.
try installating, if fail, try using another flash drive.