Installing Eleventy Locally In AppVM So It Persists (Global Is Not Recommended)

I’m trying to install Eleventy 11ty static site generator in an AppVM. It requires Node.js and npm, so I installed them in the template VM.

The problem: When I install Eleventy in the AppVM, it does not persist. I would install it to the template as well (globally), but the Eleventy documentation states:

It is not recommended to install Eleventy globally (though it does work fine).

It is preferred to use package.json installation (Getting Started — Eleventy) instead. package.json installation will avoid versioning issues if you come back to this project later or decide to use Eleventy on multiple projects that may need different versions.

WARNING:

If you’re planning on deploying your site using a service like Netlify (running a build a deployment server), you must use package.json installation and not global installation.

I plan on using Netlify. What’s the best way to do this so I don’t have to reinstall Eleventy in all the project directories of the multiple websites I am creating in my app VM every time I re-open it?

Thx in advance!

I guess you can install nvm and install node/npm with it in the home directory so it is persistent on the private volume. I did a quick test and nothing was removed after a restart.