Installation problem - stuck on "Apply Kernel Variables..."

I’ve been happily using Qubes 4.0 for some years but have just today decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest version.

Machine: Lenovo T590 - but I’ve replaced the SSD drive to keep the old one as a backup if this goes all wrong.

I copied the .iso onto a USB stick, and booting the machine takes me straight into the Qubes text menu for which install I’d like. I selected the diagnostic one and everything goes fine up to the “Starting systemd-sysctl.service - Apply Kernel Variables…” step. There it just seems to hang.

All help and suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Hi @mgladdish, welcome to the Community!

Did you verify the .iso?

How long have you been waiting?

Hi fsflover,

Thanks for taking a look.

No, I didn’t verify the .iso. I can do that today. Although I have since tried downloading the iso again on a Windows machine and copying it to a different USB stick via Rufus (first was on macOS via dd). With the same outcome.

I let it sit for about 3 hours before giving up.

Update: Yes, I’ve now verified the .iso. It’s fine.

1 Like

Well, the plot thickens.

For no good reason I tried Qubes 4.1.2 instead, and that has gone through to the graphical installer screen just fine. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I just tried the in-place upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 and that failed too.

The before-reboot stages all completed successfully but after reboot I just get a blank screen. The same as when I tried the non-verbose clean 4.2 install.

So it looks like I’m stuck on 4.1 until I can get to the bottom of the problem with 4.2 :frowning: