Installation Problem. Qubes 4.2.0 Install Fails Thinkpad T15

Thinkpad T15 Gen 1:

Intel i7-10510U
Intel UHD 620
Nvidea Force MX330
Intel Wifi 6 AX201

While trying a fresh install of Qubes 4.2.0, the installer gets stuck at qubes freeze “xen_acpi_processor: Uploading Xen processor PM info”

According to this thread, I am blacklisting the xen_acpi_processor module:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/8635

modprobe.blacklist=xen_acpi_processor rd.driver.blacklist=xen_acpi_processor

After that, the installation continues and eventually hangs according to the screenshot.

Additionally, I have temporarily disable nouveau:
https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/nvidia-troubleshooting-guide/19021

nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off

Some notes from troubleshooting:

• The result is the same when booting in Legacy or UEFI mode.
  • The install USB was properly verified and used successfully to install Qubes 4.2.0 on another system (a Thinkpad T450s).
  • The T15 BIOS is up-to-date.
  • The UEFI troubleshooting docs look to be out-of-date (eg. there is no longer an EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg file to modify, just grub.cfg).
  • I played around with kernel parameters to no real effect. Disabling modules changed the text output a bit, but the system still froze at around the same point.

I’m unable to proceed further; the installer is stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?

Thank you for your time and help.

Hi :slight_smile:

This is a “random” link from the forum - I don’t know if it will give you more debug information (I’ve not tried it myself) - but sounds like it could help:

:slight_smile:

Using the command line options

(multiboot2 line): loglv=all guest_loglv=all vga=,keep For kernel command line
(first module2 line): console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen

The boot process runs slowly, so it can be read, but I could not detect any errors. The
system continues to hang around the line:

“xen_acpi_processor: Uploading Xen processor PM info”

Next, I installed the still supported version Qubes 4.1.2. The installation runs smoothly and the system is operational.
Then, I attempted an in-place upgrade from version 4.1 to 4.2. The reboot after Stage 1 - 3 of the installation resulted in a black screen without any error messages, and booting into the rescue system was not possible.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade/4.2/#in-place-upgrade

Current status. My system is not compatible with Qubes 4.2, but it is fully operational under 4.1.

Maybe someone has a thought.

Can you try to add the debug options to the in-place [partially] upgraded installation - and confirm that the issue [still] is around the

xen_acpi_processor: Uploading Xen processor PM info

?

Sorry that I don’t have solution to your issue - but confirming that the place of the issue is the same, could help others to suggest options.

I don`t have any debug information regarding the in-place upgrade. The system could not be restarted. Black screen, and even the rescue system did not start.

A complete reinstallation Qubes 4.2 always hangs at:

xen_acpi_processor: Uploading Xen processor PM info

Have you tried this:

?

– again it’s just a random search of the forum, so it might not fit your issue …

This issue describes the same problem and unfortunately, it is still open. For one user, the installation worked with:

modprobe.blacklist=xen_acpi_processor rd.driver.blacklist=xen_acpi_processor

but unfortunately, it did not work for me, that’s a shame.