Install Qube OS in Virtual Box wont work why?

I installed Virtual Box in 2023 on Windows 111
with the latest Stable Version of Qube OS
in Virtual Box, give it 65 GB Space, 4 GB Ram, 4 Core Processors
It will install, but it never installs Firefox in the Qube OS and doesn’t have
Internet Connection
it always shows one of these Error

[DomO] Error
[‘/usr/bin/qvm-start’,‘sys-firewall’] failed :
stdout: “”
stderr: “Failed to start HVM qube with PCI devices assigned - hardware does not support IOMMU/VT-d/AMD-Vi”

I don’t think it’s possible to run Qubes OS in Virtual Box, it doesn’t support IOMMU.

You can install Qubes, but the error you are getting is because you are unable to start sys-net which results in sys-firewall not being able to start.

You can’t use Firefox because you are stuck in dom0 without being able to start any appVMs.

I don’t know if there is any way to fix this in Virtual Box, I have not be able to do so. You can run Qubes OS in other hypervisors, like VMware.

If you just want to try Qubes using an external storage device might be easier, than trying to run it virtually.

1 Like

Qubes OS uses its own Type 1 (bare-metal) hypervisor called Xen. Therefore, Qubes OS is not designed to be installed inside of a virtual machine. It can be done, but no one has stepped up to do the work to make it easy and problem-free yet.

Here are some open issues about it:

1 Like

try vmware and search how to enabled vtx and vtd in the vmware, then you can retry. I have several times install to vmware and its work as normal.

I need to run Qube OS, while im using Windoes 11 for Time Saving Options
Can i install Windows 11 in Qube OS or dont make it any sense ?

I get the same Error Message, Firefox cant get installed and has no Internet Connection
I dont know why any Idea ?
Can i pay someone to fix this for me ?

You can make a Windows qube

Running Qubes in a VM is fine for testing, but you shouldn’t do if you need any actual security, if the host OS is compromised it can completely negate any advantage you gain from running Qubes.

1 Like