Install application to dom0

Hello community,
I want to switch to Qubes os from Arch Linux, on Arch I use bspwm, but as I got there are some issues with it on Qubes OS, and only i3 and Awesome are supported. So I would like to know how I can install an app on dom0, in my case I need Arandr as I use external monitor with my laptop

If it’s available in the Fedora repo, you can install it in a dom0 terminal with sudo qubes-dom0-update arandr

If it’s not found, you can download the binary in a separate qube and then copy it to dom0 following this:

Thank you for response, so I got it right, qubes-dom0-update is a wrapper for fedora packet manager.

Yes, if you want to learn more, you can read the following documentation about installing software in dom0:

I read it already, thank you. what is still an open question for me how to upgrade installed apps, is it always qubes-dom0-upgrade?

You have multiple ways to update dom0:

• Run sudo qubes-dom0-update (not recommended)
  • Use salt with sudo qubesctl --show-output state.sls update.qubes-dom0
  • Using the Qubes Updater GUI qubes-update-gui

For other qubes (in a dom0 terminal):

• Use salt with sudo qubesctl --show-output --skip-dom0 --max-concurrency 2 state.apply update.qubes-vm # can add --targets with qube names comma-separated for targeted updates
  • Using the Qubes Updater GUI qubes-updater-gui