I need a atep-by-step guide on how to set up a VPN on the latest version of Qubes

Wait… my bad. The disp feodra one did use the VPN. The whonix was the one i did want to go through a VPN and it might already do that after the guide :slight_smile:

Whonix is a whole other issue & unless you have a good reason to be tunelling tor with VPN you shouldn’t. You definitely don’t know enough to do it safely if you really have a desire for anonymity.

sys-net → sys-firewall → sys-vpn → whatever VM you want to use VPN. That’s how it works.

Catch you later.

1 Like

doh. ok thanks

Yyes the goal is totunnel tor through the vpn.Whonix in a vpn. Thats more secure i have read. Thanks for the answers. Yes catch you later

1 Like

It is much easier to make you less secure with VPN tunnels with tor than it is to make you more secure.

You are FAR more likely to make yourself less anonymous by doing anything to Tor as a beginner, just be warned. Make sure you do some reading on the benefits and minuses. It is a hotly debated topic.

Read this first = https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Introductions

Read some of the whonix documentation on it first.

Congratulations on setting up your VPN btw!! Enjoy Qubes :smiley:

1 Like

That might mess up the mullvad setup… Might work better with the real qubes recommended VPN huide i assume.

Thanks. Yeah i have used qubes guides earlier… but had some issues with fedora vs debian sometimes… And yes, Qubes is awesome! I wish they had a linux phone… Instead of android and IOS. :wink:
Just some secure phone. Qubes on a phone would be to heavy i get that. Thanks i will enjoy it. Great OS! Good to know that hackers have a harder time hacking people, and less viruses.

This is a perfect guide for noobs, but I already knew how to use them. Thanks for the information.

“This is a perfect guide for noobs, but I already knew how to use them. Thanks for the information.”

Can you get whonix to go through a VPN with that noob guide? The settings would not work together right? I would need to setup the real qubes VPN guide am i right?

I will make separate post

1 Like

You should reconsider running Tor-browser through a vpn. Its not recommended and may in fact make you less secure. This is a question that continually crops up where the intuitive thing is to layer things but the Tor project does not recommend it. More is not always better. Go here and see: https://support.torproject.org/

What do you mean? It goes through a VPN and then a second connection. of-course it’s more secure… If not write up why not in your own words. I hope mullvad is a secure VPN. That could be the case, but if the VPN is secure you are more protected.

Go and read the documentation and join some opsec forums. You are incorrect and clearly new to this subject. Tor-browser with vpns has been done to death. If you don’t believe me do what you want.

Really? Can you link some?
So tor that goes through a VPN is unsafe then? Ok i did not know that.
Can you link me there? And what would you recommend is secure then?
Just a vpn, or just tor is more unsafe am i right? I don’t have anything to hide, (but i mean i do pirate sometimes… thepiratebay. So anonymous would be good. Netflix sucks often for me… ) but i would want to encrypt the traffic… maybe a vpn is enough then… But it would also be cool to just stay anonymous online. Without the internet trying to keep track of people online, or a.i.

Just to have some privacy… Link some. thanks
I mean, are there even private connections anymore, or have the states cracked them wanting everyone’s taxes counted? I just think it’s disrespectful them building hardware backdoors, or breaking encryption just to keep track off people that deserve freedom online without others trying to control everyone. They are really doing illegal hacking, but calling it “the legal crackers and hackers taskforce, for your safety” kinda… like cyberstalkers.

What connections would you experts say is the safest in 2022? Multiple? Multi-hop vpn and tor through that?
Link your paper or explain in your own words please. Why don’t we just create an open source internet then instead? people would have more trust overall. Same with me… I everyone knew everything the governments did and so on. people overall.
Also. It’s not that i don’t believe you… I’m just asking for a whitepaper or sources… forum posts or whatever… How do others try to stay anonymous then in 2022?

Dude, some manners goes a long way. Don’t be telling people to write things in their “own words”. The other poster is right by the way, and he pointed you to a starting point.

ok sure… I will check it out. Just asked for sources…
I thought tor was kinda private, but it might not be. I will check it out sometime i guess. But sources would have helped.

I’m not sure how much you’ve been on linux forums but you won’t get hand fed. That’s not to say people aren’t helpful, they are endlessly. You will get better assistance if people see you having a go not asking for sources when the OP gave you enough to go and find out things. If you go and read this stuff and then have questions related to qubes people will do what they can. Just sayin’. But IMHO in this case your asking two things. One about qubes networking and one about Tor and vpn. The qubes question is best asked here, but the Tor/vpn is probably better elsewhere I’d suggest.

By the way there are plenty of Linux phones now. Pinephone, Purism just to name a couple.

Ok thanks, but can you just give me a heads up on what people that really want privacy use then? If you already have the links you can make it easier i mean. I can try and find answers later… But you are the computer experts. Not me. And yes, i appreciate the people who creates pine-phones. Great communities. It’s either a mcdonalds/corporations (with a little bit on covid-19 sprinkled on-top, and a facebook like-button plastic toy with some spilled glue coca cola on it… And a little fast A.I toy running away and falling of that table, hiding under that big couch.) controlled internet and machines controlled or built by the states/governments, or not… a balance is good! People deserve privacy. Peace