I-7 12th gen intel integrated graphics not working

Qubes docs say intel integrated graphics should work. i-7 12th gen intel integrated graphics loaded but was choppy and slow. I got a Radeon amd rx 550 card (300 bucks , yuck) and qubes runs fine now, very well in fact (in comparison the the very choppy 12th gen ig).

Question is, since 12th gen i-7 chip with integrated graphics is quite common, will Qubes ever work seamlessly on it? The integrated 12th gen graphics work perfectly fine on fedora, rocky linux, clear os, ubuntu variations, you name it, it works no problem. I had over 30 distros working fine, out of the box. Qubes was the only os i encountered that has probs with intel integrated 12th gen graphics. // I wonder about 13th Gen integrated graphics too.

Maybe put in the documentation that 12th gen and 13th gen may be very slow and choppy? It would be helpful to people, because there are lots of 12th gen intel chips out there with integrated graphics. Hopefully someone can find this post and it helps them, if possible, just get an amd card. Docs say something like RX-660 or lower. I got a rx-550, and it works great. If you load Qubes, and it is slow and choppy at the install screen, just put in an amd card into the computer. I mostly wrote this for the benefit of others who are trying to install Qubes and have slow/choppy video.

Be aware that there’s a solution: System unusable without nomodeset - #3 by BEBF738VD

Be aware, there are a lot of “solutions” posted online, none of them worked. After testing each variable possible of all the “solutions” for about 5 days straight, tons of nvme total erase and starting all over again, nothing worked. That is part of the problem, when there is a culture of denial in linux. If someone had just been honest and said to use an amd card, i would have saved lots of time. Anyway, as stated, what is why I posted, i hope it remains searchable and helps others. Oah, and you know, updating the notes HONESTLY and properly would save people time too. 12th gen ig, if you could get it working, will NOT be easy. Writers should stop pretending it is.

1 Like

update— okay so with the video card in, and 64 gb ddr5 ram, and updates, and careful tuning of ram and virtual cpu (maxing out both), the video playback from things like youtube or pluto tv (for testing) seems slow. The choppy video is MUCH more subtle with the video card, however is is still enough to prevent Qubes from being a daily driver for use cases involving video. Switching to any other distro is like entering a world of lightning speed.

Maybe someday if Qubes implements kvm/QEMU than it could keep up with the pace of any other distro in terms of video work? It would be nice to use qubes as the primary daily driver, but when the subtle video choppiness makes one dizzy or have a headache, it makes it impossible to stick with Qubes for video related use cases.

Currently replying from a perfectly fine 12th gen Intel-powered machine, drop the sass.
Salty you can’t get things working? Open a support request, I’ll be happy to pitch in on this fairly simple graphical glitch.

Seems like you might be following incoherent and inadequate tests for your problem.

Easy enough to scroll through the HCL and look at potential issues. Seems like you might have overlooked this step. An AMD card is not required to successfully run Qubes OS.

I’m using 12th gen with a $100 nvidia 1060, never had any issues.

1 Like

I could reply from a 12th gen machine too, but the video would be slow and choppy. So drop the accusations of “sass”. And I never said amd is “required” to run Qubes, but it sure was a lot less choppy.

yeah, some nvidia works, but so many nvidia cards have probs with Qubes and other distros i thought it may be wise to avoid nvidia. They “nvidia” are king for gaming and heavy video processing and other workstation uses, but i just want to see the screen on a daily driver without a headache. Good point tho, if some of the nvidia cards actually solve the choppiness issues too that is great. Other distros like fedora are even starting to work with nvidia by default, which is helpful.

You never mentioned which solutions you have tried, which makes it more difficult to assist you. If you check journalctl you’ll likely see a recommendation to set a kernel parameter, such as i915.force_probe=xxxx. This fixed the extreme slowness and choppiness for me: pc went from barely being able to move the mouse to smooth movement. However, it did not fix slight choppiness when scrolling webpages. You’re more likely to receive better feedback if you provide more detail.

Hi there, I’m having graphics issues and I’d like to try what you’ve mentioned, but I don’t know how to actually “check jounralctl”. I’ve googled and searched but I can’t find it. Any chance you could point me in the right direction? Thanks! I’m struggling and would appreciate any support on offer :slight_smile:

I was going to start a new post, but perhaps it’s better if I continue from here.

Hi everyone, my first post here and I’m really hoping someone can help. I’ve just purchased and set up a new machine specifically for QubesOS.

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
i7 13700
64G DDR5

I selected hardware based on the HCL. I now realise I missed the part where this user had booted with Dasharo (Coreboot) as their system bios, and I’m having major issues with significant video lag. I’ve noted that the same user has commented in this thread so I’m quietly hoping this works out :slight_smile:

I’ve started by attempting the fixes posted on this page:
Intel Integrated Graphics Troubleshooting | Qubes OS. It said to do one and not both, but I couldn’t tell which “one” I should do so I tried both. Neither worked.

If it helps, I’ve looked in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file and found these errors (not the error which the previously mentioned fix predicted):

(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: no such file or directory
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
…
(EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device
…

I have Qubes running on a very old machine with an unbranded graphics card, so I tried that card but it didn’t help either.

So I’m now wondering what my next move is. Can I tweak something to make it work? Should I get an old AMD graphics card like suggested here? Do I need to figure out how to get Dasharo on my system (looks daunting!).

Massive thanks in advance. Writing this post wasn’t easy on this machine so I’d greatly appreciate whatever support anyone can offer

I have used the Z690 (12th gen. DDR4) and Z790 (13th gen. DDR5) with QubesOS and Dasharo, it’s worked without any issues on both motherboards.

I only tried the MSI firmware on the Z690, where I also had issues with on-board graphics. I could only boot QubesOS with legacy bios enabled, and the on-board graphics didn’t work with legacy bios.

Dasharo is easy to install, you can use the MSI firmware flasher. On the back panel, there is a button and a USB port marked for firmware update. You place the firmware on a USB stick and hold the button when you boot, and it will flash the firmware. You can use the same feature to reinstall the MSI firmware if you don’t want to use Dasharo anymore.

Using MSI flashbios button

Thanks! I’ll give that a try and let you know how it goes. Doesn’t sound too complex now I look at it more.

I’m just updating here in case someone else finds it helpful. I looked into Dasharo but after about a week of waiting and talking with support and attempting to understand what they were saying and their documentation (that seems to intertwine developer with consumer) I gave up and decided to buy a RX 580 graphics card which immediately solved the problem.

I’m sure the method mentioned above would work, however Dashbaro were very reluctant to give me the files needed to make it happen and it all quickly became very confusing and a lot more work that I realised. It’s just all in a different language to me and most of the information is only for developers but it’s all packed in together…

In summary, +1 vote for just buying a cheap RX 580 to solve the problem. Headache instantly gone.

I wonder if Qubes OS 4.2 would just make it work out of the box :thinking: