HVM Qube with PCI Attached

Hey, I’m experimenting with OPNSense as an HVM Qube and I am unable to get it to start the install when I have PCI devices connected. I run into the same issue when I try to use a Windows ISO. I end up seeing output that looks like this:

Booting from Hard Disk...

Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

Booting from Floppy...

Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device.

Here’s the code I’m running which leads to this:

qvm-run provision 'curl -sSL https://mirror-opnsense.serverbase.ch/releases/mirror/OPNsense-22.7-OpenSSL-dvd-amd64.iso.bz2 -o /home/user/Downloads/opnsense-test-vm-amd64.iso.bz2'

qvm-run provision 'bzip2 -d /home/user/Downloads/opnsense-test-vm-amd64.iso.bz2'

qvm-create opnsense-test-vm --class TemplateVM --label orange

qvm-prefs opnsense-test-vm default_dispvm none

qvm-prefs opnsense-test-vm kernel ''

qvm-prefs opnsense-test-vm maxmem 8192

qvm-prefs opnsense-test-vm memory 8192

qvm-prefs opnsense-test-vm provides_network true

qvm-prefs opnsense-test-vm virt_mode hvm

# qvm-features opnsense-test-vm video-model cirrus

qvm-volume extend opnsense-test-vm:root 40g

qvm-start opnsense-test-vm --cdrom=provision:/home/user/Downloads/opnsense-test-vm-amd64.iso

I tried using it in StandaloneVM mode instead of TemplateVM but that had no effect.

I’m using BTRFS - that’s the only unique thing about the system. The only way I’ve been able to get the OPNSense installer to load and start running is to use PVH mode which doesn’t really help since it doesn’t allow you to directly attach PCI devices.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try? I also tried rebooting, making sure the PCI devices were never connected to sys-net but that didn’t work either.

I get the same boot error with a Windows HVM when PCI devices are attached. Fine without PCI devices.

Sorry no idea what is causing it or how to solve it.

Maybe it’ll work without UEFI? That’s one thing I have not tried

Did you try to attach it with --persistent argument? No strict reset?

I did… I’m only having this issue with OPNsense for some reason

And first installing, then later, after first use changing it to HVM and attaching PCI doesn’t help as well, I guess?