HP Dev One

Remarks

Wifi and audio work great, did not test camera.
The only issue I found is sleep: when awoken from sleep, the screensaver login will be visible but unresponsive, display will occasionally flash black until eventually remaining black permanently, requiring a hard reset.

Attachments

Doesn’t let me upload the attachment

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  HP
model: |
  Dev One Notebook PC
bios: |
  F.04
cpu: |
  AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U with Radeon Graphics
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Root Complex [1022:1630]
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [1002:1638] (rev d1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.15.52-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK

---

1 Like

If anyone has ideas to fix suspend please let me know. Because the laptop is otherwise great and I have 64gb of RAM on the way.

Thank you @cotito for your HCL report, which is online now!

There’s one issue at GitHub about Ryzen suspend problems. You can find it here:

The author has claimed that with kernel 6.0.0 rc
3, sort of stable suspend/resume could be achieved.

Does this entail building a custom iso?

You can start from building amdgpu driver from source, and do some conf to Xorg to see if this makes suspend “often” work, following instructions in that issue. Then you may build a newer kernel as the author has done to see if this makes suspend “always” work. You can also just wait until 6.0.0 enters qubes testing-repo, and xorg-drv-amdgpu-x11 releases a new version, because the current version in testing-repo just doesn’t work.

@Sven I have made an updated HCL Report for Qubes OS 4.2.0 on the HP Dev One:

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'Notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  '2.0'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  HP
model: |
  Dev One Notebook PC
bios: |
  F.05
cpu: |
  AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U with Radeon Graphics
cpu-short: |
  AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U
chipset: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir/Cezanne Root Complex [1022:1630]
chipset-short: |
  AMD Cezanne Root Complex
gpu: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] [1002:1638] (rev d1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  AMD Radeon Graphics
network: |
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter [10ec:c822]
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
certified:
  'no'
versions:
  - works:
      'yes'
    qubes: |
      R4.2.0
    xen: |
    kernel: |
      6.1.62-1
    remark: |
      Camera, mic, audio speakers, & Wi-Fi work; suspend works; didn't test Bluetooth
    credit: |
      Tai Lam
    link: |
      FIXLINK

(I didn’t want to make an entirely new thread for the same device.)

Comments (1/2)

• Camera, mic, audio speakers, & Wi-Fi work
  • Suspend works
    • As in: screen seems to turn off both when I use the Xfce GUI to sleep and when I close the laptop lid
    • At least the fans didn’t seem to activate when I made the laptop sleep
      • I only did this for a few minutes, but YMMV; so test sleep on Qubes OS out before you need suspend in the field
    • (Hopefully this is so because this laptop had been designed with Linux first, unlike most other laptops)
    • I didn’t to further technical testing to “prove” sleep is working on a technical level
  • Didn’t get to test Bluetooth
    • Not sure if I’m missing a crucial piece of knowledge here, but there doesn’t seem to be a Bluetooth applet in Xfce (is “Blueman” the correct name?), so I didn’t test Bluetooth
    • On the other hand, I don’t use Bluetooth accessories on desktop/laptop
  • Mounting of USB block devices (i.e., flash drives and external HDDs/SSDs) requires the steps involving the short 3 lines of code on the Qubes OS block devices page, but otherwise works with built-in Devices Widget on Qubes OS
  • Orange LEDs on keyboard work for speaker mute, microphone mute, Fn, and CapsLock buttons
    • Not sure if LED on the Power ever activates, but I don’t think this is currently of utility to me
  • Used the latest HP firmware from July 2022, according to its LVFS entry
1 Like

Sources

• HP official customer datasheet
  • Processor specifications from AMD

Comments (2/2 - sorry lost track of what I already wrote)

• Comments below are not strictly related to HCL Report details
  • Tech specs from the official product site weren’t as detailed on the customer datasheet
  • Internals of laptop are relatively easy to access for repair/upgrades with a Torx T5 bit screwdriver
  • Both RAM and SSD covered with snap-in style EMI shields
    • RAM can be upgraded from out-of-box 16GB up to 64GB, due to SODIMM sockets
      • 32GB+ of RAM on this laptop seems suitable for Whonix use
      • Having sys-firewall, sys-net, sys-whonix, and a Whonix gateway-workstation pair all active (for a grand total of the 5 qubes taking up the most RAM) already takes up about 20GB of RAM
    • Stock SSD used is standard M.2 2280 form factor
      • Keep in mind stock SSD uses PCIe 3x4 bus standard (PCIe 3 with 4 lanes) with NVMe specification
      • So, don’t go higher than PCIe version number or lane number when purchasing new SSD to save money
        • (Not considering other aspects of SSD)
  • When looking for laptop accessories, outer chassis of the HP Elitebook 845 G8 is most similar, according to Wikipedia
    • Confirming from my own Amazon orders
  • I thought this laptop would be a good candidate laptop for Qubes OS, after some consideration
    • Official firmware wasn’t being updated anymore (not great for firmware updates, but at least it has LVFS support)
    • Only downside is laptop had relatively short & limited production run (ended in February 2023), so not available for purchase anymore
    • If one still has an HP Dev One in their possession, then update the firmware via Pop!_OS to the latest release and give Qubes OS a run.

Disclosures

I was neither paid by nor endorsed anyone (including HP or System76, as the laptop came with preloaded with Pop!_OS) to submit this HCL Report. I had bought this laptop with my own money.

(Not sure if this disclosure is actually necessary, but just wanted to be very clear on where I stand.)

To do

• Generate HCL Support Files, as described on the “How to use the HCL” page
    • Unsure how easy uploading the .cpio.gz file will be, as the Forum still considers me a new user

@flavio ping :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, @Sven! It’s now part of the pull request too.

1 Like

@flavio @Sven Even though the report’s been updated already, I’ve finally prepared the .cpio.gz file below:

Qubes-HCL-HP-Dev_One_Notebook_PC-20231231-124831.cpio.gz (9.7 KB)

Not sure if this affects the listing of the HCL, but it’s in the thread if it helps out HCL efforts.

Thanks! I think I cleaned up the other version well enough, but if something goes wrong with the pipeline, we can always pull this file instead.