How to Take Screenshots During Qubes OS Installation

I want to capture screenshots during Qubes OS installation like this. How can I do it on a real machine, not a virtual machine?

capture card?

shft+print, anaconda will save your screenshoot after install in /root/anaconda-screenshots.

Wow, thanks, I would never guess that. Why isn’t it simply “PrtScr”?

I tried the following steps: press Shift+Print Screen → press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to another tty → there’s no /root/anaconda-screenshots

This method only works with Redhat

anaconda will save your screenshoot after install

There’s no way you can ss in anaconda shell, that’s why i made guide with vm, ss is only for anaconda gui.

Have you try or just by browsing? Redhat, Fedora, Qubes are using Anaconda, and every anaconda installer can do this.

I’m installing Qubes OS now. During installation, I don’t see this directory. I will check again after installation

After finishing the installation and before rebooting to Qubes OS, I switched to tty and checked again but I couldn’t find that directory. Googling shows that many people cannot find that directory either

it is in dom0?

In the finished Qubes OS, I open a Terminal in dom0, do ls in home directory → there are several dirs: Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc. I checked Pictures but found nothing

is there any picture in /root/anaconda-screenshots?

No picture

try this (because when you type pwd it not your root home folder)

sudo cd /root/anaconda-screenshots

pwd

sudo ls

It looks like I cannot switch to root with sudo

that weird

sudo -s && whoami

cd /root/anaconda-screenshots && pwd

ls

Yessss! There they are. Thank you for your help
Screenshot_2021-11-09_19-09-44

but i don’t understand, why whoami don’t output anything?

I also noticed that part and I have no idea :man_shrugging:. I did a normal installation following the guide from the homepage. I haven’t modified anything yet

After taking a look at sudo's manpage, I see that executing sudo -s will drop me into a root shell. This means the part && whoami won’t be run at all

My output after that
Screenshot_2021-11-09_19-26-35