How to start a template and install software

I know this must seem like a ridiculous question to those of you who have been using Qubes for a while… I’ve just finished installing it yesterday and cannot for the life of me figure out how to “start a template”. I’m able to start a qube based off a template, though when I go to install a piece of software (ie vscode), when I close the terminal qube and open a new one, the package is no longer installed.

As per the Qubes docs, I understand that installing anything directly into a qube is temporary and will not persist between cube sessions, however I seem to be unable to determine how to “Start a template”. I’ve searched for things along the lines of “How to start template in qubes os” and “install software in template qubes os”, however I keep getting instructions on how to install a NEW template.

Can someone please break it down for a simpleton like myself? Or refer me to a tutorial that goes through things step by step? Much appreciated in advance.

Here is an example of qubes in Qube Manager:

Here debian-10, fedora-32, whonix-gw-15 and whonix-ws-15 are described as TemplateVM in Template column. All qubes below are based on one of these templates.
So, for example, if you want to install software in debian-10 template then you need to start its Terminal using xfce menu Q → debian-10 → Terminal. Then in opened terminal you need to install software and then shutdown this template for changes to take effect. And then you also need to restart all your qubes based on this template for changes to take effect.
More info:
Getting started | Qubes OS
How to install software | Qubes OS
Templates | Qubes OS

2 Likes

I had a feeling it was right in front of my eyes… Thanks a lot buddy!

2 birds stoned at once - learnt incredibly basic task, and confirmed Qubes community is pretty sweet.