How to set up network

How do you enable your internet after installing Qubes? I’m already aware dom0 can’t connect, but how do I set it up for my seperate Qubes? Something with the appliances in sys-net or sys-firewall? Like on a fresh install for Qubes, what do you do to connect your Qubes to your internet.

Are your networking devices attached to sys-net?
Check by looking at the qube Settings under the Devices tab.

If not, attach them: you will have to shut down sys-net to do this.

If they are attached, click on the network manager icon - you may see
wired or wireless connections there Wired should automatically connect
using DHCP. Wireless should show you available networks: select one and
you should be prompted for login details.

If they are attached, but the network manager icon does not show any
networks, (either wired or wireless), then you may need to provide
drivers in sys-net. This will depend on what devices you have. You will
have to install the drivers in the template used by sys-net, and restart
it after shutting down the template. (Sometimes devices will work if you
change the template used by sys-net from Fedora to Debian or vice versa.)

Some more information would be good.

It looks like my WiFi adapter isn’t showing up in sys-net and the light on it isn’t lighting up. Do some WiFi adapters not work with Qubes, like Tails? Mine is a USB, and I thought there’s meant to be a seperate VM for USB devices but I don’t see one, and I didn’t select the option during the install for it to be combined with the other VM (sys-net IIRC?) If you need more info just let me know what info is needed.

If you don’t have a sys-usb then the device is likely attached to dom0.
Without knowing more about your box it’s difficult for me to say more.
(How many USB controllers, what device, what options you selected at
install, what USB devices you use, etc ,etc)

I have a USB keyboard, mouse, and WiFi adapter. I have a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M motherboard, a 16 GB T-Force Zeus DDR4 RAM, a Ryzen 5 5500, and a some MSI graphics card. The options I selected were disk encryption, updates over TOR, and I think that’s all I changed. Last night I installed the USB Qube and thought, how am I meant to attach appliances to this if it needs turned off, and turning it off would make me lose access to my mouse and keyboard? Well, I did it anyway, and ended up having to hold the power button to turn off my PC. When I turned it back on it booted to the installation screen, but when I hit enter on install Qubes it brought me to my disk encryption password screen which relieved me. So I entered the password and was met with a black screen with this:

Warning: /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root does not exist
Warning: /dev/qubes_dom0/root does not exist
Warning: /dev/qubes_dom0/swap does not exist

Generating “/run/initramfs/rdsoreport.txt”

Entering emergency mode. Exit the shell to continue.

Type “journalctl” to view system logs.

You might want to save “/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt” to a USB stick or /boot after mounting them and attach it to a bug report.

Press Enter for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):

So I pressed Ctrl-D and got:

[ lots of numbers]: Warning: Not all disks have been found.

[ lots of numbers]: Warning: You might want to regenerate your initramfs.

And now I can’t type anything else (was gonna type journalctl)

So… how much did I just screw up? I have a Qubes USB I can just reinstall it I guess, but is this normal to happen when you force shut down? And if so, what does it mean, as in, would all of my stuff have been lost?

Disregard this comment (the one youre reading). I cant figure out how to delete it

No, and I often use the power button - there’s no reason to suppose that
Qubes played any part in this. It sounds like a hardware issue.

It doesn’t act like that for other OS’s, though, when the power button is pressed. Atleast it hasn’t before. I think I may have used the power button a few days ago when my screen froze and it didn’t do anything bad. By the way I figured out that I needed to unplug and replug my power supply to fix the boot issue that happened after it seemingly got corrupted. I since have switched to another OS as this has me concerned about data loss on Qubes, plus not being able to figure out how to get a network connection set up without seemingly somehow corrupting the disk or using an ethernet cable which isn’t an option for me.