How to set up a proxyVM to allocate multiple AppVMs?

For example, I have set up a VpnVM, and I have three AppVMs. I want these three AppVMs to connect to the internet through the VPNVM, but I need to assign different IPs to each of the three AppVMs. This means that the VPN client on the VPNVM needs to connect to three different IPs simultaneously and assign different IPs to the three AppVMs. Is this possible?

1 Like

I’m following this because I will need this answer too lol :sweat_smile:

I saw this but didn’t try it myself: How to make mullvad net vm assign a different ip on each qube start up? - #12 by solene

1 Like

Rather than just say, “Yes”:
Can you explain what you mean by assign different IPs to each of the
three AppVMs
, and why you want this?
The answer you get will depend on what VPN you are using, so that information
would also be helpful. It’s also likely not to be Qubes specific.

1 Like

In Qubes OS, different AppVMs represent different identities. Since they are different identities, I think they should have different IP addresses, similar to Whonix, where multiple Whonix-Workstations access the internet through a single Whonix-Gateway, and each Whonix-Workstation can have a different IP address. I want to implement a function similar to the Whonix-Gateway. The difference is that the Whonix-Gateway uses Tor, while the ProxyVM uses OpenVPN. I am now assigning different ProxyVMs to different AppVMs, which means there are as many ProxyVMs as there are AppVMs. This is very inconvenient.

This is a feature of Tor with different circuit isolation.
You can do this with openvpn but it will depend on what the openvpn
server offers. So provide that information.
In your current set-up is each ProxyVM connecting to the same
openvpn server, or are they connecting to different?

1 Like

Different ProxyVMs connect to different servers.

1 Like

Oh interesting!

So I can have 1 qube appVM connect to a VPN on the software level, and another qube appVM connection to a completely different VPN on the software level of its own little virtual environment

I didn’t even consider that! That’s a neat idea