How to open files you've copied to a disposable qube

I’m trying to copy a screenshot from dom0 to a disposable whonix ws qube so i can post it on the qubes-os.org forum.

Open it where? In disposable where you’ve copied it? Open it using what program?
What problem did you encounter? This one?
http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/t/problem-with-downloading-in-tor-browser/18039

You might have to boot the dispVM first manually

Yes, the disposable I’ve copied it to. I’m trying to view the folder it’s in using thunar so i can open it with Ristretto.

I guess where I’m getting caught up is in the random IDs whonix assigns to DispVMs. I’m not sure how to open a particular DispVM random ID.

Do a screenshot, save it to disk.
Open tor browser as disposable vm, wait for browser to popup (dont close it, as it shuts down the dispvm).
In dom0 terminal use qvm-copy-to-vm dispXXXX /home/YOURUSERNAME/Screenshot-xxx-file.png (take the dispXXXX from the title of your torbrowser window).
On success the file is in your dispvm in /home/user/QubesIncoming/dom0/Screenshot-xxx-file.png. Open a file manager from your Qubes Icon in tray → dispXXXX → file manager

There might be an easier way to do this though.

1 Like

Thanks, this is good.

Johnboy’s solution is good, but an IMO easier one (quoting myself from another thread):

DVM=dispXXXX
sleep 2 && file=$(xfce4-screenshooter -f -o echo) && qvm-copy-to-vm $DVM "$file" && qvm-run $DVM -- ristretto "QubesIncoming/dom0/$(basename $file)" &

First start a new target VM and define the variable DVM according to its name (execute in a dom0 terminal)…then run the second command, which will will take the screenshot after two seconds, send it to the disposable and there automatically open the file in ristretto.

1 Like