How to enter grub screen on install

Sounds obvious, though as a newbie it isn’t so apologies, but for the Qubes 4.1.1 install how do you get to the grub screen, so that you can “add the following command to the XEN command line: x2apic=false”, to enable me to install please?

I say this because I have the following “Failed to start udev Wait …omplete Device Initialization” error, and according to a fellow post on this forum the work around is to add “ x2apic=false “.

My desktop hardware specification are:-

Gigabyte A520M S2H - BIOS Firmware Version Installed: F15e ( which, Updates AMD AGESA to V2 1.2.0.7)
Ryzen 7 3700x
Crucial 2x32GB DDR4 3200MHZ
Samsung 980 1TB M.2 SSD
MSI 3050 Aero ITX Graphics Card

Many thanks in advance for your assistance :slight_smile:

Updates

I am not able to get past the “Starting Dracut Emergency Shell…”, to see if I can get more info on the error.

When you have “Install Qubes OS” highlighted, press e to edit the boot options - you should see something like:

setparams 'Install Qubes OS'

multiboot2 /images/pxeboot/xen.gz console=none
  module2 /images/pxeboot/vmlinuz ... quiet
  module2 /images/pxeboot/initrd.img

I think x2apic should be a Xen command option, so it should go on the line after console=none.

Thanks Chris.

Is this how the grub file should read? (Pleaser photo), since although I get past the error, I then get a black screen with a black and white curser that I can move around with my mouse, but not install screen?

If I press the tab key and then the enter key, I get a dialogue box to say “Are you sure you wish to quit the installation process? (See photo), but I click on then I go back to the black screen with black and white curser only, not install?!

Did I do something wrong in the grub?

Ah, silly me, sorry I have dual monitors, and the second monitor I had switched off, now I am getting the install screen - Thanks again Chris :slight_smile:

2 Likes