How to distinguish important messages in the terminal from unimportant?

As you might have noticed when you are newbie you’re asking too much questions. :slight_smile: So there’s a need to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. :slight_smile: Please tell, how can beginners distinguish really important messages (for example those that could inform about potential compromise, harm, malfunction, etc.) in (dom0 or other) terminals from those that can be ignored? What should be there? What signs? Words? Essence? :slight_smile: The answers will be useful for all Qubes newbies. :slight_smile:
P.S. And I’d like to take this opportunity to demonstrate another one (hope the last) error message that always present in logs of my dom0 terminal after using journalctl -f command.

dom0 qubes-app-menu[13720]: Не удалось подключиться к менеджеру сессий: Не удалось подключиться к менеджеру сеансов: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
Translation: “Could not connect to session manager: Could not connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment not defined variable

I always had this error in logs whenever I watched logs. It’s repeating itself many times in logs. Is it something important? What does it try to tell?

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s almost experience that will help. You can search for the exact error on a search engine, this may help figuring if it’s fine or not.

There are a lot of logs by default that can be discarded, programs are too verbose in their logs by default and things never happen like expected by developer so many programs screams that “something looks wrong” although it’s fine :sweat:

1 Like

One useful thing is to learn about the difference between a “warning” and an “error,” which is a distinction that is often not obvious to newcomers.

2 Likes