How to disable random mac address on iwlwifi in Qubes 4.1

Since mac address randomization is now the default in 4.1 for the wifi interface is there a setting to disable randomization if needed?

Thanks,

What is preventing you to edit your connection and disable/set-whatever-you’d-like it there?
I have adjusted topic’s title for it’s better visibility, but feel free to put it back or anything else.

I’ve not seen any setting in NetworkManager for changing the mac randomization setting. That’s why I’m asking.

In 4.0 you could see that the mac in sys-net matched the manufacturers mac, as seen with ethtool -P.

Example:
root@sys-net ~]# ethtool -P wls6
Permanent address: 11:22:33:44:55:66

Now you can see with ifconfig that a new mac is generated each time sys-net is started.
ifconfig wls6 | grep ether

A nice feature in most cases, unless you have a particular reason to keep you mac address stable.

Does this help?

1 Like

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

at the end of file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and restart NetworkManager with the command:

$ sudo service NetworkManager restart

Thank you. I did add that to the template, restarted NetworkManager, and verified that the [device] section was added to sys-net.

However the mac is still random, changing every time sys-net is restarted. With trace enabled in NetworkManager.conf it shows "set-hw-address: setting mac address to " but no mention of wifi.scan-rand-mac-address.

Well, I’m not sure to which template you did this, but the only other idea I have is to set up your wifi connection in sys-net by choosing "Preserve" for the Cloned MAC address, then while sys-net is still up, to copy it’s NM-system-connections folder containing corespondent wifi .nmconnection to the /rw/config folder of a sys-net’s dvm-template, to shut them down both and restart sys-net.

Thanks. Setting to “Preserve” worked.

1 Like

Great. Please mark the post as a solution so it could help other users too.