How to bring back the disposable: debian-11 or fedora-34 VMs?

Hi

On Qubes 4.0 I had the following:

After upgrading to Qubes 4.1-rc1 I could only find Disposable: whonix-ws-16-dvm. I tried to make one by making a VM based on debian-11-dvm but it would only allowing spanning a single VM instead of having as many VMs as you want with such names as disp-3413, disp-1341, …etc.

How can I bring those categories back?

Hi @resulin, welcome to the Community! There is currently a bug here: Q4.1: Whonix 16 DVM has no applications · Issue #7064 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub.

There is a workaround in the comments there.

You can also try to create a Disposable manually: Disposable customization | Qubes OS.

Hi @fsflover ! Thanks for your answer.

I think I should have phrased my question better (my Disposable: whonix-ws-16-dvm is absolutely fine), what I want is how to create a non-named disposable VM (or a regular disposable). I already have the debian-11-dvm and fedora-34-dvm templates and the best I could do was to make a named disposable:

A type of disposable given a permanent name that continues to exist even after it is shut down and can be restarted again. Like a regular disposable, a named disposable has no persistent state: Any changes made are lost when it is shut down.

• Only one instance of a named disposable can run at a time.
  • Like a regular disposable, a named disposable always has the same state when it starts, namely that of the disposable template on which it is based.
  • Technical note: Named disposables are useful for certain service qubes, where the combination of persistent device assignment and ephemeral qube state is desirable.

I was able to get them again by following the second instructions in this comment: fedora 34 dvm not displayed as disposable · Issue #3464 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Seems like the issue was that I needed to run qvm-appmenus --update debian-11-dvm as well.

Anyway the default config after a fresh install should still be fixed.

2 Likes