How much traffic will update use?

Hi,

I am on a limited traffic plan, so for me it is important to know in advance how much traffic will an update use (like ‘zypper up’ in openSUSE shows). Unfortunately, the default Qubes Update tool does not seem to show that info even when clicking “Details”.

In section “Command-line interface” of the docs How to update there is a warning which strongly recommends using the Qubes Update tool for security reasons. While still learning about Qubes OS, I am careful not to risk the security of the system, although those tools may probably give more info about what is to be downloaded.

So, what is the correct and secure way to update and still be able to see what and how much will be downloaded in advance?

1 Like

I’m curious about this as well.

1 Like

Run sudo qubes-dom0-update from the command line.
A window will open in your UpdateVM, and will show you the results of
dnf update for dom0.
You will see what packages are to be updated, and how much will be
downloaded.
You can say “No” here, and then switch to the GUI tool knowing how much
will be downloaded.

You can do the same in templates.

If you have a number of templates cloned from the same base, then install
a caching proxy. I package apt-cacher-ng for Qubes, which works well.
This reduces the amount to be downloaded.

The GUI Update tool is sometimes used to make configuration changes in dom0
and in templates. If you don’t use it then you will miss these.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
2 Likes

A few more questions:

1. In which qube do I run this command?

2. The warning says “Warning: Updating exclusively with direct commands such as qubes-dom0-update…”. I understand that your suggestion is run the command and terminate its further action (the actual update) before it happens. However, as a newcomer to Qubes OS who is careful not to mess up anything, I would like to ask explicitly: Isn’t running the command this way unsafe as well? I hope you could elaborate in relation to the issues mentioned in that warning.

3. Do you think it is appropriate to suggest to the developers to include the functionality “show what will be done before it is done” in Qubes Updater itself? Currently that “Details” menu does not provide any detail whatsoever until the process is complete, so one neither knows what will happen, how it is progressing or anything else. What is the proper way to suggest such feature?

1 Like

A window will open in your UpdateVM, and will show you the results of
dnf update for dom0.
You will see what packages are to be updated, and how much will be
downloaded.

That window shows for such a short time that I can only see “Fedora…” with some progress indicators and then it closes. The in the dom0 console I read “No updates available”. I also tried the cli option --check-only but it didn’t provide the info I need.

You can do the same in templates.

How exactly?

I hope you don’t mind questions 2 and 3 from my previous reply as well.

I notice that the documentation has changed - the previous alarming security warnings are no longer there (assuming the related issues have been fixed) and now 2 Salt formulae are suggested as command line analogs of the Qubes Updater.

Unfortunately, running any of them does not show how much will be downloaded. In fact, they don’t even show how much has been downloaded after completion. So, no info about the traffic whatsoever.

I hope someone can explain how to achieve what I am looking for.

Hello,

ah yes, that’s interesting.
I can’t find, in the Qubes documentation, how to set this up and use it properly?

I can’t find, in the Qubes documentation, how to set this up and use it properly?

Forgive me to point out but this thread has a different topic. I would be interested to know what you are asking too but perhaps in a separate thread. In this way someone looking for info about it in the future will also be able to find the answer easily.

I hope you don’t mind the kind remark :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok
https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/apt-cacher-ng-tutorial-for-a-good-use/13207