How can I move files in a template using filemanager? I get permission denied

I installed tor browser to my disposable fedora template even ran it and it works, the problem is when I go to settings to add the tor browser as an application to my disposable fedora VM it isn’t there so I discover that I have to move the start-tor-browser.desktop file to usr/share/application BUT when I go to the file manager on the template and right click to move it and select the right directory it says permission denied. I have no idea how to get this permission. Anyone has an idea?

You can’t copy the files in root-owned directory as user in file manager. Maybe if you install some additional software the filemanager will ask for permissions to move the files but it won’t by default.
You need to copy the file using terminal with sudo:
sudo cp /path/to/copy/from/start-tor-browser.desktop /usr/share/applications/.

If you want to use Tor Browser inside of Qubes OS, it’s generally recommend to use Whonix qubes instead of trying to “roll your own privacy.”

I did this and it didn’t work but I checked the file location in file manager and the file is there but it has a gray X at the end of the file name. I checked properties it has no permissions so now I gotta figure out how to give read permissions to this file.

Edit: Nvm I am stupid I forgot I can download files from a VM and copy paste to another. I can’t use whonix for what I am doing I need to use a VPN and installing VPN on a whonix is not that great from what I read but I definitely don’t the tor browser on fedora now. I still need to install a software on fedora though.

I actually installed a VPN on a fedora template using dnf but it doesn’t show up on applications list becaue there is no desktop file. How do I solve such issues?

Which VPN is it? There should be a guide to do this if you search for it.
The basic guide to manually add desktop file:

Mullvad VPN. I found their tutorial and followed everything on their tutorial but it doesn’t work. Also for some reason I can’t copy paste stuff to vi or vim editor on a debian vm. Extremely annoyed by that. It is crazy how time consuming and error prone linux is or qubes os is compared to windows. Make you appreciate windows haha. Can’t even install a VPN even with following exact instructions.

Mullvad VPN. I found their tutorial and followed everything on their tutorial but it doesn’t work. Also for some reason I can’t copy paste stuff to vi or vim editor on a debian vm. Extremely annoyed by that. It is crazy how time consuming and error prone linux is or qubes os is compared to windows. Make you appreciate windows haha. Can’t even install a VPN even with following exact instructions.

How exactly did you install the app?
The desktop file should be there:
./MullvadVPN-2023.3_x86_64/usr/share/applications/mullvad-vpn.desktop

I don’t have an issue with that since you don’t really launch the vpn from applications. This just doesn’t work I get no internet connection when done with setup following this tutorial. I sent them an e-mail but they probably won’t respond. Do you know anything about copy pasting on vi or vim in qubes os?

Copy text in VM1, press Ctrl+Shift+C to copy it to global clipboard, open VM2 terminal, press Ctrl+Shift+V to copy from global clipboard to VM2 clipboard, paste content of clipboard in terminal with Shift+Insert. You can copy the text from terminal if you select it and press Ctrl+Insert.

1 Like

I couldn’t thank you enough in a life time, thank you so much. I searched this but anyone who asked the same question or similar question seem to get no real answer and just say stuff like did u check the version or this or that.