Hewlett-Packard Envy 17m (bw0013dx)

17" HP ENVY Laptop Model 17m-bw0013dx
Product # 3WF11UA
CPU: Intel® QuadCore™ i7-8550U 8th Gen.
(1.8 GHz/4 GHz Turbo), 8 MB cache; VT-x & VT-d Technology
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 (Upgraded from factory 12 GB DDR4-2400)
HDD : 2.0TB SanDisk SDSSDH3 (Upgraded from factory 1TB 7200-SATA)
BIOS:
Software Guard Extensions (SGX): DISABLED (During install)
Hardware Virtualization Technology: ENABLED

• Burned R4.0.4 (xfce) ISO to 8GB stick from linux Mint Ulyssa; booted ISO stick, installed to 64GB USB3.0 stick for 10-day evaluation; successful.
  • Performed dual-boot install next to linux Mint Ulyssa, (just in case).
  • Installed R4.0.4 to 256GB primary partition next to multiple (critical) logical partitions. No insurmountable obstacles not covered by Qubes Documentation or Forum.
    [Original (Mint) partition moot; eliminating w/ no change to Qubes bootloader.]

edit: updated version on qubes-users: [qubes-users] HCL - HP ENVY 17m-bw0013dx

1 Like

Have you read yet Templates - Inheritance and Persistence?

According to the FAQ:

Can I install Qubes OS together with other operating system (dual-boot/multi-boot)?

You shouldn’t do that, because it poses a security risk for your Qubes OS installation. But if you understand the risk and accept it, read documentation on multibooting. It begins with an explanation of the risks with such a setup.

From the practical perspective what I would suggest is installing it instead in an external SSD and that way you avoid all the multiple partitions / multiboot issues. Just remember to install it without sys-usb if the SSD is a USB device.

Perfect. Spending some afternoons in the docs is really key to not getting frustrated on Qubes. So many users (including myself) have struggled a lot because they didn’t do that first.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

p.s. Also, if you’re ok with it, could you attach the .yml file of the HCL report? If you need any help on that just reply.

1 Like

Thanks immensely, Deeplow.
All I needed was to get my proboscis properly vectored.

1 Like

I’ve added a link in the original post to the mailing-list copy of the new version: