Hardware brands which you trust to run Qubes

This is why I love this forum, we’re all on the same track and I’m just getting started so people are like yeah, we already thought of that here’s how. Thanks a bunch!

3 Likes

[quote=“Sven, post:58, topic:2868”]

[quote=“ubersecure”]
Can you at least speculate on how they would violate your system, let’s say assuming they have to this remotely (e.g. they can’t physically touch you because you are out of the country)?

“They spy on you” does not address how a governement, let’s say the US, might voilate your system remotely.

Perhaps, but if someone had complaints of being hacked by a governemnt agency you would likely be unable to distinguish between whether or not were having paranoid delusions. A competent psychiatrist will tell you that in can be impossible for them to tell the difference between someone is who experiencing paranoia and someone who is being persecuted.

That’s fine, unless you get hacked/compromised

Information on how to progress in that direction would be very valuable. From my persective I am interested in governement servelliance. Yes, I understand that in some places it could be a matter of life and death, but I was getting at a purely technical discussion.

This is devolving into a claims / counter claims thing.

I wanted to point out that limiting “they” to the US and using “remote” in the same context as “another country” is pretty pointless when talking about online attacks. It’s all the same.

A compromise is always possible, because you can never be sure that you know more / see more than anyone else.

About the paranoia / psychiatrist thing … unfortunately I think I have a lot more insight there then you do (not through this forum but actually taking care of people in real life). It’s impossible for us to agree on anything there and it’s also off-topic.

Look for threads around intrusion detection systems and where / how to apply them.

1 Like

Just getting back into this.

I looked, but all I could find so far are software systems.

Such systems could be circumvented by a hardware level intrusion which is what I was trying to detect.

I was thinking along the lines of a network router, with unwritable firmware, which monitors all network traffic. It would then in principal be able to detect an attempt by an intruder to “call home” even if they circumvent the OS.

Good idea, but not Qubes OS specific, hence off topic here. I’m sure there’s plenty of material out there on the net on how to do this.

Not Qubes specific, but it could be relevant. For example, when a Qubes user believes they have been compromised.

Good point. However, certain possiblities can be ruled out, at least with a high level of certainty.

For example, I’m not sure on how foolproof these NitroKey protections are against BIOS malware, but if they really work as advertised that is a huge gain, knowing the BIOS and startup sequence is not compromised.

That is exactly what I am interested in, so I won’t post further here.