I’ve been struggling for a few weeks now trying to boot to the r4.1.2 Qubes installer. I get the error: “Not asking for VNC because we don’t have a network” / “X startup failed, aborting installation” / “Pane is dead”
This seems like a common error but none of the common possible solutions have resolved the issue for me. Almost everything I try leads me to “Not asking for VNC because we don’t have a network” > black screen with frozen cursor. I only ever see the “X startup failed, aborting installation” / “Pane is dead” error when I do basic graphics mode which leads me to believe this is a graphics issue.
PC Specs (Custom build with all parts being manufactured in 2020)
Motherboard: ASUS X570-PLUS (HCL Verified)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (No iGPU)
RAM: 32GB Corsair
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Secure Boot: Disabled
Fast Boot: Disabled
Things I’ve Tried
- Booting using every option in the GRUB menu in both Legacy BIOS and UEFI mode (regular, test media, basic graphics mode, newest kernel)
- Using different kernel parameters (radeon.modeset=0, amdgpu.dc=0, amdgpu.si_support=0, amdgpu.cik_support=0, radeon.si_support=0, radeon.cik_support=0)
- Using a brand new corsair 32GB and 128GB USB stick. (Qubes installation works with no problem on two other laptops I have tested on)
- I can install Arch Linux with a desktop environment and Windows with no problem on this PC
- I tried the text based installer (inst.text kernel parameter in basic graphics mode) which is the furthest I’ve been able to get. However, step 3 in the text based installer asks for the ISO/Installation medium location which does not make any sense to me. The only options are the partitions on my main SSD in my PC and not the USB that I booted from.
I’m not sure how to troubleshoot from here. I suppose the next thing I could try is downloading/flashing the ISO on another USB stick and selecting that as an installation medium in the text based installer but this just seems wrong. Plus if the installer won’t appear then I can’t imagine the main OS would either? I don’t know. I’m struggling here.
I just want to understand and pinpoint my current issue. If anyone could give me the next steps for troubleshooting I would greatly appreciate it.