Unfortunately, corporations are pushing Google meet and other big tech conference software only for “security” reasons. I have never been able to get background visuals and blur working on Qubes. I suspect it has something to do with hardware acceleration and Qubes not using my GPU. Is there anyway to solve this issue without following GPU/Gaming guides here as its too complex for me? I have put up with this issue for far too long and have praised alternatives like brave talk etc. (background visuals work but quality is not the best) but corporations…
I have tried different browser and tried toggling on/off hardware accelerations but none have worked. I have tried brave, librewolf, FF, un-googled chromium, and Mullvad.
Mullvad, strangely, came the closest to working. It allowed my to toggle the blur setting but it never showed up for me and the website started crashing.
If not google meet, which alternatives have you used that allow background visuals and blur?
I am using Qubes OS/Work/Firefox, I am using an application that requires 4px blur. It might also use two layer blur. This causes lag spikes.
The Qubes OS Solutions look like attaching a GPU to a container or disabling blur with an extension. As I am using a NUC with no PCI slot, I will leave it as is.
I am running into the same issue, CPUs can’t do 2D Graphics without a lot of compute.
I figured I would comment to say I am running into similar issues with another application.
I have seen in the past that some qubes can decide that they can render with very high framerate. I forgot what was the application giving a problem, but the glxgears test app was causing giant CPU usage, because it was trying to run 1000 frames per second, because it did not know my cheap screen was only 60Hz.
Maybe it is connected… I only found a partial solution by adding an extra vcpu, for llvmpipe to use alone.