Getting Errors for Basic Install of NotepadQQ

Hello, I can’t seem to install notepadqq after upgrading to Fedora 33.

I keep getting these errors. I’ve tried looking them up on Reddit and here but it seems like no one else had it or they had it and knew what to do. I also tried install “NPM”. Could use a helping hand. I didn’t have a problem installing NotepadQQ on Fedora 32. Only happened after I upgraded.

[user@fedora-33 ~]$ sudo dnf install notepadqq
Warning: Enforcing GPG signature check globally as per active RPM security policy (see 'gpgcheck' in dnf.conf(5) for how to squelch this message)
Fedora 33 - x86_64 - Updates                    6.1 kB/s | 9.8 kB     00:01    
Fedora 33 - x86_64 - Updates                    642 kB/s | 3.1 MB     00:04    
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:15 ago on Wed Oct 27 18:48:22 2021.
Error: 
 Problem: package notepadqq-1.4.8-13.fc33.x86_64 requires nodejs-shelljs, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package nodejs-shelljs-0.8.4-2.fc33.noarch requires (npm(rechoir) >= 0.6.2 with npm(rechoir) < 0.7), but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
  - nothing provides (npm(resolve) >= 1.1.6 with npm(resolve) < 2) needed by nodejs-rechoir-0.6.2-8.fc32.noarch
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

and NPM…

[user@fedora-33 ~]$ sudo dnf install npm
Warning: Enforcing GPG signature check globally as per active RPM security policy (see 'gpgcheck' in dnf.conf(5) for how to squelch this message)
Last metadata expiration check: 0:07:56 ago on Wed Oct 27 18:48:22 2021.
Package npm-1:6.14.15-1.14.18.1.1.fc33.x86_64 is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

guess you could always clone the template, and try it with --skip-broken ?

the 2nd one (npm) just ignore that warning, otherwise you can read my query from before

https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/warning-enforcing-gpg-signature-check-globally-as-per-active-rpm-security-policy-see-gpgcheck-in-dnf-conf-5-for-how-to-squelch-this-message/3556/18

Will the skip broken break something else? Or reduce security or something? I’m not sure I understand what’s going on.

Update: Well, I tried it and this is what I got. I’m really lost. Everything was ok until I ran the update for Fedora. Not sure what I did wrong at this stage. Reinstall Qubes all over again?

[user@fedora-33 ~]$ sudo dnf install notepadqq --skip-broken
Last metadata expiration check: 0:06:47 ago on Thu Oct 28 21:37:42 2021.
Dependencies resolved.

Problem: package notepadqq-1.4.8-13.fc33.x86_64 requires nodejs-shelljs, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package nodejs-shelljs-0.8.4-2.fc33.noarch requires (npm(rechoir) >= 0.6.2 with npm(rechoir) < 0.7), but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
  - nothing provides (npm(resolve) >= 1.1.6 with npm(resolve) < 2) needed by nodejs-rechoir-0.6.2-8.fc32.noarch
================================================================================
 Package               Architecture  Version                Repository     Size
================================================================================
Skipping packages with broken dependencies:
 nodejs-rechoir        noarch        0.6.2-8.fc32           fedora         12 k
 nodejs-shelljs        noarch        0.8.4-2.fc33           fedora         60 k
 notepadqq             x86_64        1.4.8-13.fc33          fedora        1.4 M

Transaction Summary
Skip  3 Packages

Nothing to do.
Complete!

Ok, I think I figured it out. I checked NotepadQQ’s website and apparently, I should be grabbing it from Snap. So I installed Snap and did that. I had to open Internet connection for the template. I know, I know, shouldn’t do that. But I don’t want to install it every single time in every AppQube. But that’s how I ended up doing it and now it works!

just curious what are the fw rules? I’ve never done that personally when installing a nonrepo

Temporarily allowing networking for software installation

Some third-party applications cannot be installed using the standard repositories and need to be manually downloaded and installed. When the installation requires internet connection to access third-party repositories, it will naturally fail when run in a template because the default firewall rules for templates only allow connections from package managers. So it is necessary to modify firewall rules to allow less restrictive internet access for the time of the installation, if one really wants to install those applications into a template. As soon as software installation is completed, firewall rules should be returned back to the default state. The user should decide by themselves whether such third-party applications should be equally trusted as the ones that come from the standard Fedora signed repositories and whether their installation will not compromise the default template, and potentially consider installing them into a separate template or a standalone VM (in which case the problem of limited networking access doesn’t apply by default), as described above.

Sorry, I don’t understand the question. I’m still really new to all this. :frowning:

its just a post from

been using qubes for years, probably still doing quite a few things wrong, so glad your on the topic , see if wiser folks reply

I’ve done, do the same thing, temp connect the template to the world, install then undo it but here it says that a firewall change is supposed to be done also, I never touch my firewall in any VMs template or not :slight_smile:

Oh, I didn’t make any changes to the Firewall Rules tab either. I just opened it and then did my thing, and then closed it. So many things to learn. It is not like Windows!

so maybe this is NOT correct, it says firewall will only allow package manager access, maybe what is meant is, “unless you change the network for the template to sys-firewall”

if you *don’t then, you must change the fw rules?

I re-read that part of the docs. I think what you said makes sense. Now that I’ve re-read the article/doc, it does seem to be referring to the “Networking” field under “Basic” tab as opposed to the “Firewall rules” tab. I think they used “firewall rules” as a general utterance. My bad for thinking it’s the “Firewall rules” tab!