Future plan for multi-user: (Multiple sys-gui's or multiple users in one sys-gui for sys-gui muti-user?)

sys-gui is supposedly part of the long term plan to go multi-user. Is the idea that each user would have their own sys-gui vm to log into? Like sys-gui-bob, and sys-gui-jim, and sys-gui-peter?

Or is the idea that admin would be dom0 and sys-gui could be all non-admin users, with multiple users in /etc/passwd of sys-gui?

I’ve played around briefly with multiple sys-gui-vnc qubes for a machine that is stationary and remotely accessible, and matches your first paragraph. But this is a different use case than local, physical multi-user.

The qube structure is as follows:

• gui-user1 [configured “like” a sys-gui-vnc]
    • user1-work qube
    • user1-personal qube
  • gui-user2 [configured “like” a sys-gui-vnc]
    • user2-work qube
    • user2-personal qube

It was necessary to make sure the guivm preference for the user[X]-qubes were set appropriately. Then run qvm-sync-appmenus within gui-userX to get them to show up in the menu.

I left default_guivm set to dom0. As long as a user can remotely access gui-userX over VNC, that allows them to interact with userX-qubes, though in a limited fashion. Changing of netvm or template cannot be done unless the respective qubes have their guivm also set appropriately.

The only difficulties I’ve had were in the secure copy + paste mechanism, and needing to set a login password at boot via rc.local.

That’s neat! Any idea if that’s what was intended when they talk about future multi-user in qubes?

I’m speculating that future multi-user is intended to work something like:

1. Boot computer

2. At dom0 login screen, go to the upper right and select “sys-gui-bob” (which is configured “like” sys-gui)

3. type in the username “bob” and bobs password
    {you are now logged in as bob}

4. log out

5. from the upper right and select “sys-gui-peter” (which is configured “like” sys-gui)

6. type in username “peter” and peters password
    {you are now logged in as peter}

No idea, but these words from the Qubes team are the most recent updates: