Free space not being reclaimed after deleting a big StandaloneVM

I am on Qubes release 4.0 and my initial installation was with Qubes 4.0.

I had a StandaloneVM that was taking up around 500GiB of space. This VM was in qubes_dom0/pool00.

I was getting warnings from the Qubes Disk Space Monitor about running out of disk space (~95% of the space in the “lvm” volume was being used), so I removed the large StandaloneVM using the Qube Manager GUI. However, the warning never went away, and the disk usage reported by the Qubes Disk Space Monitor remained at ~95%. I am wondering if there is a way I can reclaim this free space.

I do remember for this particular StandaloneVM, I had to manually resize the volume using commands in dom0 instead of doing it through the Qube Manager GUI, because the Qube Manager wasn’t letting me resize it to a larger size.

There also doesn’t seem to be any issues with deleting via the Qube Manager other AppVMs or StandaloneVMs that were not manually resized via dom0 terminal commands. Free space from those seems to be reclaimed properly.

Thanks!

Running sudo lvextend -l +100%FREE /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-pool00 has helped a bit as usage has now dropped to 84.9% (followed ubuntu 12.04 - How use free space after lvremove - Server Fault)

1 Like