Fedora 36 upgrade conflict x86_64 / i686

I was updating my Fedora 36, and ran into an irritating issue. I don’t think this is Qubes specific, and might be due to installing wine maybe. I’m getting a conflict with libpcap. There seems to be both the x86_64 and i686 versions already installed, and it won’t install the upgraded versions (of either, as best I can tell). If I try to remove either of them using dnf, it wants to uninstall over 1GB additional packages.

My apologies if this is a dumb question, I did search online before posting, and since such a large amount would be uninstalled, I didn’t want to pursue that option (initially anyway).

Any suggestions from the Fedora experts?

Error: Transaction test error:
file /usr/bin/pcap-config conflicts between attempted installs of libpcap-devel-14:1.10.2-1.fc36.x86_64 and libpcap-devel-14:1.10.2-1.fc36.i686

[user@fedora-36 ~]$ sudo dnf remove libpcap-1.10.1-3.fc36.i686
Transaction Summary

Remove 23 Packages

Freed space: 1.2 G
Is this ok [y/N]: n

[user@fedora-36 ~]$ sudo dnf remove libpcap-1.10.1-3.fc36.x86_64
Transaction Summary

Remove 83 Packages

Freed space: 1.3 G
Is this ok [y/N]: n

The beauty of Qubes is that in the situations like this you can create new clean template and start over by, for example, diff two installments and install in a clean template only those packages you need for sure.
At the end, and it’s my experience only, such approach takes less time then trying to resolve issues with the current template, and even if resolved I can’t be assured that it isn’t broken in other aspects…

1 Like