Fedora 36 templates available

I did not touch it. Do I need to expand it? if yes, how can i do that?

How much of that space>?

How much of that space>?

this is my Dom0:

Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                     1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs                        2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                        2.0G  2.4M  2.0G   1% /run
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root  808G  7.7G  759G   1% /
tmpfs                        2.0G  8.0K  2.0G   1% /tmp
xenstore                     2.0G  568K  2.0G   1% /var/lib/xenstored
/dev/sda1                    976M  271M  639M  30% /boot
tmpfs                        392M   28K  392M   1% /run/user/1000

and generally 377.5G of 821.2G is used.

I think you need to upgrade your dom0 mapper from 7.7 G to around 50G

But if that is the case, why I am able to download other templates. I do not have any issue with Fedora 35.
Also, what is the best practices to expand Dom0?

sudo lvresize --size 45G /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root

Then

sudo resize2fs /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root

2 Likes

7.7G is used 759G is free

Yes, looks like I do have enough space. 759G free is not enough for a Fedora template?

you have to do the data math for the space that required for fedora 36 in dom0 disk space. If you look at the current occupied space is 4.6G and if have 7.7G, this does not work because the cache from dom0 and the other qubes as well.

1 Like

The facts of the dom0 root data comes from the facts of the installations from the usb disk that has been flashed to the disk itself. The mathematical ways of this data storage is required about the much amount of the current available space that shall be at least 40G of the dom0 root space that is coming from 4.6G of installation cache that cannot be deleted permanently from the user’s experience about the facts of how does the work done for the system occurred in one single disk space.

For that amount of disk space that I assume that disk device was from mostly Samsung about 1 TB of storage for Qubes. This ways that these data maths to be occurred in such a large disk space shall have the much amount of time been for the system to encrypt the device. These data maths were occurred by physics calculations and virtual random calculations for those space shall be available for the template fully and capable to install in the system itself. I don’t have any evidence to support that, but that’s just the nature of how to download and install the templates.

I think the issue is related to this open bug: qvm-template: "No such file or directory" while installing template ¡ Issue #7529 ¡ QubesOS/qubes-issues ¡ GitHub

Or, at least, the unhelpful canonicalization message will be replaced by something more appropriate such as File Not Found. BTW, I think that 759GB should be enough to hold a 1.7GB file and its decompressed version too :slight_smile:

I could finally retrieve the fedora-36 template, having changed nothing on my side (other than waiting for several hours). Could it be that some of the mirrors didn’t get the file and depending on which mirror you hit, you could find or not the corresponding .rpm there?

1 Like

I think there is way too many people are downloading the templates

1 Like

Yes, I gave up and now I downloaded the template. Free space was not the issue.

Oh, do you mean that your 760GB of free disk space was enough? Shocking! I would have expected for Fedora to take at least 2TB nowadays… :smile:

1 Like

So, finally I have set up Fedora 36 but an other wired issue.
On all my apps, fonts are like this:

This is not the case on OS application + by default installed apps such as Thunderbird, but for example on Slack, Signal and this kind of apps that I installed, I have this issue.

I installed a new fresh Fedora 36 template, switched all my fedora qubes including disposable servicevm’s to it, so far so good.

Maybe it is missing some preinstalled font that is in Fedora 35 by default but not 36. I find that preinstalled packages changes sometimes between Fedora versions. For example I could always attach my external USB HDD with NTFS fine, until I upgraded to a newer Fedora template which didn’t have NTFS drivers preinstalled, but now with Fedora 36 they are back by default. And 36 is now missing Gedit by default.

yes, Gedit too. I am wondering if there is any plane to have more details in release note so before installation we would know what are changes.

It seems like it was planned for Fedora 36:
https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/release-notes/issue/790

It’s replaced by gnome-text-editor.

1 Like

I just found when I run my application(in this case Signal) from the menu, font are not readable just like this screenshot. However, when I run on Terminal with sudo, fonts are ok.
Is there any explanation for this issue?