Fans running at maximum speed

I don’t have any vm running and my fans are running at maximum speed on Qubes release 4.2.0.

$sensors
pch_cometlake-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +49.0°C

nvme-pci-0700
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite: +33.9°C (low = -0.1°C, high = +86.8°C)
(crit = +89.8°C)
Sensor 1: +33.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

BAT1-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0: 16.46 V
curr1: 0.00 A

nouveau-pci-0100
temp1: +48.0°C (high = +95.0°C, hyst = +3.0°C)
(crit = +105.0°C, hyst = +5.0°C)
(emerg = +135.0°C, hyst = +5.0°C)

nvme-pci-0600
Composite: +42.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +83.8°C)
(crit = +84.8°C)
Sensor 1: +42.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2: +41.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +53.0°C (crit = +120.0°C)

journalctl -b

what’s your computer and specs?

Maybe you need some kernel module to access fan control.
You can check this project:

It seems to use ec_sys kernel module:
PredatorNonSense/ecwrite.py at master · kphanipavan/PredatorNonSense · GitHub

• This program uses ec_sys kernel module to function. Check using find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -name '*.ko*' | grep ec_sys. If it isn’t listed, you’ll have to rebuild the kernel yourself manually. Arch Linux and Ubuntu do ship the kernel with this module available.

GitHub - mohsunb/PredatorSense: Clone of Acer's Predator Sense™ application for fan control on Linux, for PH315-51-78NP.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1943318
PH315-51 Fan Control works properly out of the box · Issue #1 · kphanipavan/PredatorNonSense · GitHub

ph315-53 and I don’t know what specs are

$find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -name ‘.ko’ | grep ec_sys
/lib/modules/6.1.62-1.qubes.fc37.x86_64/kernel/drivers/platform/chrome/cros_ec_sysfs.ko

sudo modprobe ec_sys
modprobe: FATAL: Module ec_sys not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.62-1.qubes.fc37.x86_64

I didn’t need predator sense software in ubuntu distro so would qubes and dom0 need it? Also the original predator sense software is closed source so is this safe to use?

Dom0 is using Fedora so try to boot from Fedora Live USB to check if it’s a problem with Fedora or not.

It seems to be written in python and open source so I guess it’s safe to use.

On Fedora Live USB it isn’t a problem. Why is it a problem on Dom0?

Maybe there is some fan control software or kernel module preinstalled in Fedora Live USB that supports your laptop fan control.

How do I find it and add it to dom0 from the Fedora Live USB?

I guess you need to figure out how the fans are controlled in Fedora Live USB.
Maybe check sensors-detect there or check the logs there or search in /sys the entries related to fan and then search where are they coming from.

It may just be Xen that doesn’t know how to scale the CPU frequency and it’s always running at full power, hence more heat, and spinning fans.

By specs, I meant hardware specifications.

I don’t know what the sys entries are but this is sensors and sensors-detect there. $ sudo sensors-detect# sensors-detect version 3.6.0# System: Acer Predator P - Pastebin.com

Does Xen scale it automatically?

Don’t see anything related to fans in sensors-detect.
You can search for fan entries in /sys in Fedora Live like this:

sudo find /sys -iname "*fan*"

And search for fan string in logs using journalctl.

Don’t see any relevant info there as well.
Don’t know where else to look then.

Is there anywhere else I can post this to get more help? The fans are so loud even when only a browser is open or idle

You can ask on general Linux forums/chats/etc how can you find out how your fans are controlled in your system (Fedora Live) which package/kernel modules are involved that could be missing in dom0 Fedora system.

They told me there was only power profiles daemon in Fedora Live and there wasn’t any packages or modules controlling fans. Are the fans controlled by dom0 or xen in qubesos and does power profiles daemon work on dom0?

Fans are controlled by dom0. I don’t know about power profiles daemon.