External GPU with passthrough?

Hi,

I’m trying to assign my external GPU in a Razer Core X case connected on the thunderbolt 3 port of my T470. Unfortunately, if I start a VM where the thunderbolt related hardware are assigned, on R4.1 the system freezes, on R4.2 it reboots.

Did someone succeed at this before?

Hi, solene. Thanks for your nvidia drivers guide.

How is it going? I want to try external gpu passthrough too in near future (got rx580)

The few tries I did just ended up as instant reboot of the system when starting the HVM :sweat_smile:

Following the recent guides about Gaming HVM and VirtualGL, I got a bit further.

With the hide_pci kernel option, the system doesn’t reboot anymore. But yet, I’ve not been able to use the GPU for rendering or its display, but it’s progress. I have an NVIDIA card in it, I’ll swap with an AMD because the support should be easier, I won’t have to fight with nouveau :slight_smile: and struggle installing the proprietary driver.

it’s actually possible, I’m continuing in the Gaming HVM guide

Hello Solone, any changes around this subject? I’m considering attach via thunderbolt 4 eGPU case and run local AI through Qubes OS on dedicated HVM. My laptop is TUXEDO InfinityBook Pro 14 - Gen6 with 64GB RAM + Intel Core i7-11370H But I have no idea if it is worth to try.

my eGPU case died… :confused: It’s not more complicated to setup than regular GPU passthrough, but I haven’t been able to get it to work at all on 4.2 :frowning:

Sorry to hear that. Anyway, what was your ultimate goal with this stuff ?

I bought it a few years ago just for testing, I was using it occasionally to play video games