Exotic OSes which I tried on Qubes

I must to try both of them. Also thinking on Inferno as a side branch of Plan9 evolution.
I’m most curious what stopping SerenityOS from boot on Xen. I suspect some graphic issue. I opened issue on their github but I was ignored.

1 Like

I saw that someone did it with 3.0

Bedrock won’t start on debian creating a template or if started no app can be started. Probably to try to create standalone in debug mode to check what is going on…

Just checked it. After hijacking and reboot, apps not work as you said.

1 Like

As I can remember when trying it in Virtualbox there was some first-time screen before log-in about setting bedrock on the first boot. Most probably that’s the reason, but don’t take my word.

@Szewcu this definitely belongs in the main forum section (since it’s about Qubes). Moved it there.

1 Like

Ok, I wasn’t sure if trying different OSes as HVMs just for fun deserves topic on main forum. Most of them is just useless or not adding any value to Qubes installation.

Two more exotic systems:

Q4OS
debian-based system offering trinity desktop which is similar to Windows XP or newer. Stable and rather fast. Could be installed as a template in HVM mode, but so far no qrexec is available.

kolibri
A tiny system that fits on a floppy disk. Can be booted from an image file (like Tails). Just for fun - there are some games on it. :grin:

3 Likes

You would try running QNX Neutrino

1 Like

Created standalone debian-11-minimal, then installed Bedrock in it, restarted in debug mode, shell didn’t report any error or additional action needed by Bedrock, and the qube couldn’t start as well, with the qrexec error reported in dom0. So, I increased qrexec timeout, and bam, it was there.

Went back to debian-11-minimal-bedrock template in PVH mode, increased its timeout to 600 and bam, it was there too! Terminal thunar all are there working…

Updated via apt and apt-cacher-ng flawlessly, and trying now to check other packagers…

$ brl tutorial basics

works as expected, so I’m definitely in Bedrock.

That is all that I checked so far

1 Like

You might try Redox OS
Latest images with installer

2 Likes

Is there any fix for those unsynced cursor?

Hi there,
on Q4.0.4 I installed XigmaNAS.
Cheers,
M.

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2809

I am sorry but I have a strong feeling of ReactOS as the most wasted time in some dev’s life… Never moved from alpha stage after… how many decades? Really?

1 Like
Offtopic

Moderation policies and flagging and hiding posts

One more thing that could be tried: https://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

what about infernoOS and bluebottle?

Can’t build native inferno for x86 - I found some guides and patches for raspi, and contacted guy who made them but he told me that running it on x86 may be not so trivial. But I was able to build and run virtual inferno on top of my 9front VM. If you find a way to run native inferno on x86 please let me know.

About bluebottle i never heard about that one. I will check it out.

1 Like

About bluebottle (or should we call it Oberon A2?). Running it on top of a linux vm is trivial. For native installation I can’t find any guide about building an ISO, and the one from sourcforge is rather old and not official.

Edited: this unofficial ISO from sourceforge can be booted in a regular way, but the cursor is even less usable then on plan9 etc. So I can’t click right menu and proceed with installation.

1 Like