Error trying to use cmd.run in saltstack to add firewall rules

The qubes related salt docs don’t seem to have anything special for adding firewall rules, so i was going to use cmd.run to run “qvm-firewall {vmname} add {address}”.

However, while a qvm.present earlier in the file worked, this cmd.run produced a error. I simplified the command to “touch /tmp/test2”, and still get a error. This is my simplified version (Note: I have tried various syntax, as examples from different sources have different syntax):

touch /tmp/test2:
  cmd.run:
    - creates: /tmp/test2

and when i “sudo qubesctl state.highstate”, I get:

ID: dom0
Function: cmd.run
  Result: False
 Comment: An exception occurred in this state: Traceback (most recent call last):
            File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/state.py", line 1837, in call
              **cdata['kwargs'])
            File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/loader.py", line 1794, in wrapper
              return f(*args, **kwargs)
            File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/states/cmd.py", line 862, in run
              name, timeout=timeout, python_shell=True, **cmd_kwargs
          TypeError: run_all() got multiple values for keyword argument 'cmd'
 Started: 11:13:41.862245
Duration: 3.24 ms
 Changes:   

I have also tried things like:

thingy:
  cmd.run:
    - name: touch /tmp/test2

upgrading salt to try a newer version is not a option in qubes. I’m guessing it’s just a bad error message. Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, there’s no module for that.

I use the below with [blib]. Check its code if you don’t want to install it.

[blib] GitHub - 3hhh/blib: bash library

include:

• vm-install.blib

{% for name in [
‘vm1’,
‘vm2’,
] %}
copy-firewall-rules-{{ name }}:
file.managed:
- name: /tmp/salt_qvm-firewall/{{ name }}.txt
- source: salt://files/dom0/firewall/{{ name }}.txt
- mode: 644
- makedirs: true

execute-firewall-rules-{{ name }}:
cmd.run:
- name: |
source blib
b_import os/qubes4/dom0
set -e -o pipefail
cd /tmp/salt_qvm-firewall/
rules="$(< {{ name }}.txt)"
b_dom0_clearFirewall “{{ name }}”
b_dom0_applyFirewall “{{ name }}” “$rules”
- shell: /bin/bash
- runas: root
require:
- sls:
- vm-install.blib
{% endfor %}

Is there a way to view the source of what tripleh said? Due to the combined magic of “indentation based/whitespace sensitive syntax” and auto-formatting, what shows is not valid salt.

The qubes related salt docs don’t seem to have anything special for adding firewall rules, so i was going to use cmd.run to run “qvm-firewall {vmname} add {address}”.

However, while a qvm.present earlier in the file worked, this cmd.run produced a error. I simplified the command to “touch /tmp/test2”, and still get a error. This is my simplified version (Note: I have tried various syntax, as examples from different sources have different syntax):

touch /tmp/test2:
  cmd.run:

and when i “sudo qubesctl state.highstate”, I get:

ID: dom0
Function: cmd.run
  Result: False
 Comment: An exception occurred in this state: Traceback (most recent call last):
            File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/state.py", line 1837, in call
              **cdata['kwargs'])
            File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/loader.py", line 1794, in wrapper
              return f(*args, **kwargs)
            File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salt/states/cmd.py", line 862, in run
              name, timeout=timeout, python_shell=True, **cmd_kwargs
          TypeError: run_all() got multiple values for keyword argument 'cmd'
 Started: 11:13:41.862245
Duration: 3.24 ms
 Changes:   

That works for me, as it should.
What happens if you call it with qubesctl state.apply thingy ?

@unman
My fault. It was a some kind of comment / whitespace error combined with copying files to the wrong directory for some tests but not others.

Thanks