Error codes on debian update

Since I’m still manually updating vms, I’ve paid a little more attention to what scrolls across the screen.
I don’t know if this is important, but I thought I’d point it out anyway:

dpkg: warning: version '4.19.155-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64' has bad syntax: invalid character in revision number
(This actually repeats once more, immediately, but this forum refuses to display a double-up, apparently.)

and then later

Progress: [ 98%] [########################################################..] 
cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries 
    nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the 
    'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup initramfs 
    integration and avoid this warning.
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/xvdc1
I: (UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [redacted])
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.

I just don’t have the skills to interpret this, (and my faith in the system is a little shaken, unfortunately).

Here’s a general tip: When this is on a TemplateVM, it’s most likely an issue that spans across that whole distribution (on which the TemplateVM is based – debian, fedora, etc). So looking for “[distribution] [issue]” on a search engine may yield some answers.

I also get this one. But I haven’t taken the time to understand it yet. If someone does understand the implications, I’d welcome an explanation.

As far as I’m aware the AppVM are not full disk encrypted (but the whole Qubes installation is by default). So I don’t know what cryptsetup (used for full disk encryption) could possible have been doing in an AppVM. See a related discussion bellow:

1 Like

ok, deeplow, I’ll take that tip onboard.

I’ll let the cryptsetup thing go - too much, too deep, and if you are getting it, probably just me over-reacting.

Since I’m still manually updating vms, I’ve paid a little more attention to what scrolls across the screen.
I don’t know if this is important, but I thought I’d point it out anyway:

dpkg: warning: version '4.19.155-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64' has bad syntax: invalid character in revision number
(This actually repeats once more, immediately, but this forum refuses to display a double-up, apparently.)

and then later

Progress: [ 98%] [########################################################..] 
    nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the 
    'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup initramfs 
    integration and avoid this warning.
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/xvdc1
I: (UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [redacted])
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.

I just don’t have the skills to interpret this, (and my faith in the system is a little shaken, unfortunately).

This is exactly what it says - the revision number has “_” which is
invalid in Debian, but not in Fedora. (It’s been flagged up before)
Not an issue.

nor crypto modules. If that’s on purpose, you may want to uninstall the

Dont worry about this - it’s simply a statement of fact. You are
installing a cryptsetup-initramfs package, but you dont have any need
for cryptsetup in initramfs.

No need for your faith to be shaken - at least, not by this.

1 Like

thanks!