Emergency Dracut Shell errors. Boot Drive unable to login to Qubes OS

Dang – I had expected them to differ and the solution to be to have the GRUB config match the blkid :-/

The number of lines depends on the number of kernels installed … :wink:

1 Like

i just ran blkid again and it gave me tons of lines of templates /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0
i think we may have solved it. Should I reboot and try? or what to do next?

i also see the name of the templates I custom created.

When I ran blkid | grep -i luks

I only see two lines

/dev/sdb3 UUID:
/dev/mapper/luks-UUID

Can you try:

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb3 myTest

This will ask for your password in order to unlock your LUKS volume – does that work?

after command

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb3 myTest

i type the password, it says,
"cannot use device /dev/sdb3 which is in use (already mapped or mounted)

Oh - I didn’t know you had unlocked it already … in that case, it could make sense to try and reboot.

Also: I’m about out of ideas for what can be the problem … so a reboot and see how it goes, is one of my last suggestions. :-/

i tried the reboot. it takes a long time to load and doesn’t ask for password. it just took me to the black screen and says

warning /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root does not exist
“Warning: Not all disks have been found.”
“Warning: You might want to regenerate your initramfs”

so doesn’t look like we were able to fix it yet.

I do remember trying the same process as you did before with some other guides. I did do a mkdir before is there a way to find if i maybe mounted it somewhere else? and I can continue where I left off

I loaded rescue disk, i went to shell (without typing in password for sdb3) and typed command

blkid

I got a different UUID for each dev/sdb1, sdb2, and sdb3. the sdb3 UUID is the same as the previous steps we did early on. The other ones are different UUID’s for sdb1 and 2

Do you have telegram so I can show you screenshots?

If it doesn’t ask for the password for the LUKS encrypted volume, then it make sense that /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root is missing – it shoul only be available, after the password has been entered.

Can you try to edit the GRUB command line and remove the quiet and see how the boot goes?

1 Like

I clicked E for edit and under module 2 i see rhgb quiet. Should I remove that?

When I remove it and press F10 to boot, it loads large lines of commands and few minutes later it will not boot successfully. I think I should try doing the steps you suggested without using the password to sdb3? just directly go to shell and try the commands?

there has to be a solution for this. I cant possibly be the only person with this problem. It was working one day, then next day i started getting these boot errors.

@ChrisA can you look at this for me? anaconda rescue is broken · Issue #5609 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

A really quick & dirty ad-hoc workaround would be to
rename all find_existing_installations to _find_existing_installations in the /usr/lib*/python*/site-packages/pyanaconda/rescue.py file and then re-run anaconda rescue: anaconda --rescue --lang us

I don’t understand how I would proceed with these steps? Do I type this in shell? or how do I get it done? what is the commands?

@deeplow can you help with this issue?

When did the error start appearing?
Unplanned shutdown, or out of diskspace errors?

1 Like

@kernel right after a reboot.

Edit:

Is it possible you ran out of disk space?
I think I may have encountered this before.

What I did to solve it was delete some Qubes that could easily be restored.

Are you only able to boot into the shell from the USB stick?

1 Like

ah yes, that could have happened. I am not sure how though because it has 180gb on the main sdb3 drive. How can I delete one or two of my custom created qubes?

Yes, i can load into shell with the original usb stick i use to boot into it or a second usb with the recovery option.

Hi,
You can check them out as reported “here”.
Of course, You have first of all boot from usb, luksOpen your sd<X>3 partition, then run lsblk to get which are your deletable VMs.
Cheers,
M.

1 Like

can I get step by step instructions please?

I find it so rude to ignore people and poking others.

1 Like