Emergency Dracut Shell errors. Boot Drive unable to login to Qubes OS

If it doesn’t ask for the password for the LUKS encrypted volume, then it make sense that /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root is missing – it shoul only be available, after the password has been entered.

Can you try to edit the GRUB command line and remove the quiet and see how the boot goes?

1 Like

I clicked E for edit and under module 2 i see rhgb quiet. Should I remove that?

When I remove it and press F10 to boot, it loads large lines of commands and few minutes later it will not boot successfully. I think I should try doing the steps you suggested without using the password to sdb3? just directly go to shell and try the commands?

there has to be a solution for this. I cant possibly be the only person with this problem. It was working one day, then next day i started getting these boot errors.

@ChrisA can you look at this for me? anaconda rescue is broken · Issue #5609 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

A really quick & dirty ad-hoc workaround would be to
rename all find_existing_installations to _find_existing_installations in the /usr/lib*/python*/site-packages/pyanaconda/rescue.py file and then re-run anaconda rescue: anaconda --rescue --lang us

I don’t understand how I would proceed with these steps? Do I type this in shell? or how do I get it done? what is the commands?

@deeplow can you help with this issue?

When did the error start appearing?
Unplanned shutdown, or out of diskspace errors?

1 Like

@kernel right after a reboot.

Edit:

Is it possible you ran out of disk space?
I think I may have encountered this before.

What I did to solve it was delete some Qubes that could easily be restored.

Are you only able to boot into the shell from the USB stick?

1 Like

ah yes, that could have happened. I am not sure how though because it has 180gb on the main sdb3 drive. How can I delete one or two of my custom created qubes?

Yes, i can load into shell with the original usb stick i use to boot into it or a second usb with the recovery option.

Hi,
You can check them out as reported “here”.
Of course, You have first of all boot from usb, luksOpen your sd<X>3 partition, then run lsblk to get which are your deletable VMs.
Cheers,
M.

1 Like

can I get step by step instructions please?

I find it so rude to ignore people and poking others.

1 Like

I’m out of ideas - so I can only suggest that you try to follow the suggestion from mila:

Since you don’t have a working dom0, you’ll have to boot some kind of LiveOS and work from that.

1 Like

Thanks @ChrisA and @mila @kernel
I agree with this idea. Will this process allow me to view my files for any of the vm templates?

I really only care to unlock it with another live OS then access the files to back them up to another drive.

What steps should I take to unlock the old OS password and access the files in a new LIVE OS?

and How do I delete vm templates on the OLD OS

If that’s all you want to do, then I just did a really quick’n’dirty test:

• Booted a Xubuntu from a USB stick
  • Opened the file browser
  • Clicked on my encrypted volume and entered my password (allowed the LiveOS to remember my password until I shut it down)
  • Clicked on each of the volumes that became available

After this, I could inspect them with:

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ sudo -i
root@xubuntu:~# df -h
Filesystem                                                         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs                                                              1.5G  2.4M  1.5G   1% /run
/dev/loop0                                                         2.4G  2.4G     0 100% /cdrom
/cow                                                               7.3G  111M  7.1G   2% /
tmpfs                                                              7.3G     0  7.3G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                                              5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs                                                              7.3G  508K  7.3G   1% /tmp
tmpfs                                                              1.5G   92K  1.5G   1% /run/user/999
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root                                         20G  4.4G   15G  24% /media/xubuntu/ecba85df-43bd-432b-bb64-0e073bb1a485
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--fedora--36--private                     2.0G  212K  1.9G   1% /media/xubuntu/de437d44-8216-4258-95fe-ba191530088c
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--debian--11--private                     2.0G  8.3M  1.9G   1% /media/xubuntu/bcf7eacb-34da-40f8-9acb-9997728dd4ff
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--whonix--ws--16--private                 2.0G  356K  1.9G   1% /media/xubuntu/14696937-0373-4df6-909e-67017fe2fae0
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--sys--net--private--1667740233--back     2.0G  364K  1.9G   1% /media/xubuntu/1a03192c-3004-42d1-94f9-c4f010fef3dd
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--sys--net--private                       2.0G  1.3M  1.9G   1% /media/xubuntu/1a03192c-3004-42d1-94f9-c4f010fef3dd1
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--personal--private                       2.0G   90M  1.8G   5% /media/xubuntu/be5c7d46-02d3-4ae8-93dc-c721e8e89ffb
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--whonix--gw--16--private                 2.0G  456K  1.9G   1% /media/xubuntu/afc174a2-f203-41a3-bc16-132f077b0ca5
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--sys--whonix--private--1667739990--back  2.0G  272K  1.9G   1% /media/xubuntu/5c735fbb-f5f2-4123-a29b-e4a31778542f
/dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-vm--sys--whonix--private                    2.0G  272K  1.9G   1% /media/xubuntu/5c735fbb-f5f2-4123-a29b-e4a31778542f1
root@xubuntu:~# 
root@xubuntu:~# cd /media/xubuntu/be5c7d46-02d3-4ae8-93dc-c721e8e89ffb/home/user/
root@xubuntu:/media/xubuntu/be5c7d46-02d3-4ae8-93dc-c721e8e89ffb/home/user# ls 
Desktop  Documents  Downloads  Music  Pictures  Public  Templates  Videos
root@xubuntu:/media/xubuntu/be5c7d46-02d3-4ae8-93dc-c721e8e89ffb/home/user# 

If GUI doesn’t give you the volume you are looking for, take a look inside /dev/mapper/:

ls /dev/mapper/
1 Like

This sounds like it will work. I’ll try it. Do you know if the vm–vault was able to open or display? I wonder if vault is only accessible on the Qubes OS?

Ok this worked! I was able to see all the volumes.

The only thing is, I am missing access to the files in the documents / downloads section of the volume. I only see the bin directories. I don’t see documents/downloads/desktop directories.

What commands can I run to access those/download those?

I tried showing hidden files/directories in the file manager without any luck

Well this is pretty messed up. It seems like I cannot access the vault’s files that I had saved in the documents folder.

My understanding is, those files/directories should be in the (config folder)

My other VM’s do show some data in the /config folder of the /dev/mapper/qubes-dom0-vm-work-private (etc etc etc)

This is not the case for the vault vm for some odd reason. No files in the config folder for “vault vm’s”. I tried all three of the vault volume’s (not sure why it has 3 of them).

Maybe I need to openLuks like @mila suggested? I dont know how to run luksOpen command. is this correct?

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb3

I found my luks-UUID using lsblk

also the directory /home/user is locked. How can I unlock it?

Do you still need help? I’ll contact you by pm.

1 Like

How did you get on? If you’ve not managed already, my suggestion would be to delete a couple of templates you can easily restore, e.g. whonix ones (+ the backup file).
Then if the issue was with diskspace, the drives should be able to map, and you’ll be able to boot into Qubes