I regularly use View in DispVM, but rarely Edit in DispVM. While I’d like to use Edit in DispVM for the obvious safety benefits, for any but the most simple, quick edits it seems to have too many limitations which in some cases can be gotchas:
- If what you want to edit needs other resources (e.g., a spreadsheet that refers to others), no can do
- If what you want to edit will change format (e.g., CSV → ODS), you can edit it, but need to manually return the new file, or lose it
- Same with more complex editing, such as creating side-by-side subsets of the original file
- Same with any journals or other ancillary files desired
- If the DispVM (or dom0/xen) crashes or hangs, all is lost - all “safety” files/saves created by the editing app are gone once the DispVM is gone
Is this list accurate? Or am I misunderstanding something(s)?
If accurate, I guess I’m stuck with editing in the AppVM…