Dual-boot installation: Qubes. Kali 2023

running at dom0:

qvm-copy-to-vm default-dvm fdisk.txt
stat fdisk.txt
sh: line 1: zenity: command not found

sudo qubes-dom0-update zenity
Using sys-firewall as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
Unable to detect release version (use '--releasever' to specify release version)
Fedora 38 - x86_64          0.0 B/s | 0 B  03:33
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'fedora':
   - Curl error (7): Couldn't connect to server for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-37&arch=x86_64 [Failed to connect to mirrors.fedoraproject.org port 443 after 18607 ms : Couldn't connect to server]

I also tried using my phone as access point and I have the same results. Both internet connections work fine at other devices with Xubuntu & Android.

I managed to copy and paste all the contents of a txt file at dom0 into another file in default-dvm but I am having difficulties to copy that file to a usb stick so I can put it in another pc in order to send it to pastebin

I’m not sure why or where zenity is required.
What command did you run to see this error?

sh: line 1: zenity: command not found

The command I issued is the one you can see in my post:

That’s strange, I don’t have zenity installed in dom0 and it works for me on Qubes OS 4.2.

But I think I have Qubes 4.1, not 4.2 (as uname -r reads: 6.1.43-1.qubes.fc37.x86_64). I can’t update as the internet is so so slow. Any help please to solve it so I can apply the pending updates? Thanks

fc37 means you have Qubes OS 4.2.
Is it a clean install or did you upgrade from Qubes OS 4.1?

I am not sure, is it any way to know all the upgrades applied until now? Do you think you can help me troubleshooting the very slow internet? thanks

I don’t know of a way to check it.

What’s your network configuration?
Are you connected to internet using WiFI?
Are you using VPN/Tor?
If you boot from another OS (e.g. from some Linux Live USB) on the same PC where you have Qubes OS then will network work properly there?

How can I check that?

Yes

No

Yes

You can try to use kernel-latest for your sys-net (or whatever qube that has your PCI wireless controller attached), maybe it’s a problem with your wireless controller driver.
The kernel-latest package for dom0 kernel (not sure if needed), and kernel-latest-qubes-vm to install kernel-latest for your qubes.

I have a problem with the DNS as it can’t resolve the URLs, but maybe there is something else as using the destination IP address (instead of the URL) did not solve it. The wifi adapter I am using is located inside the notebook but I also tried a wifi adapter (with a different chipset) connected to a USB port and until now I continue having the same problems. Any commands I can use to diagnose it?

Do you have internet working but it’s very slow or internet is not working at all?
Try to ping some addresses in sys-net terminal:

ping quad9.com
ping 9.9.9.9

Before seeing your message I connected another USB wifi adapter (Ralink RT2870/RT3070) and now it works at a reasonable speed so I applied the updates. The adapter that comes with the computer is a Broadcom BCM4313.
Answering your question: It was working very slow and then it wasn’t working.
After this updates and reboot I tried again with the Broadcom adapter but I don’t see ant improvement, the zenity error remained so I installed it in dom0 and now the qvm-copy-to-vm works!.
Going back to my original post: Here I pasted the contents of the fdisk -l at dom0 as I think it may help to solve my problem with the Kali installation:

What do you have in /boot/efi/EFI directory?

sudo ls /boot/efi/EFI /boot/efi/EFI/*

Your system is a mess tbh, you have EFI System partition with qubes xen/initamfs files but without grub files.
So I can only guess that you’re booting Qubes OS in Legacy mode?
And it seems that you’ve installed Kali in Legacy mode as well.
I don’t know how to configure multibooting properly for Legacy mode so I can’t help here.
Maybe someone else that use multibooting in Legacy boot mode can help out.

It was hard for me and it took me a long time to install and make Qubes work on my notebook, as you can see in this post, (one of the reasons being my hardware is old):

and the conversation continued with many more questions from me here:

I don’t really remember why I installed it in legacy mode, as you have more knowledge than me about Qubes, maybe you can deduct it from those messages?. Do you think it may also work in UEFI mode for my hardware? Do I need to reinstall both operative systems for that?
I remember I had a smaller SSD and then I upgraded to a bigger one, so I am not 100% sure if all that long process was done with the actual SSD as well. I don’t remember using any disk’s cloning software so I probably installed Qubes again in the new SSD.

It’s not guaranteed that UEFI will work right away, maybe you’ll need to use some custom options to make it work.

As I understand it, this part of guide:
Multibooting Qubes
Would be appropriate for your case if you’ve installed the Kali Linux on separate disk with its own GRUB installed.
But since you’ve installed the Kali on the same disk you should’ve followed this part of the guide:
Multibooting Qubes

I solved it this way:

On dom0, thunar, I’ve looked for the absolute (complete) route for the Kali’s partition and copied it into the clipboard.

On dom0, terminal I run: sudo nano [that-location]/boot/grub/grub.cfg
and copied to the clipboard the menuentry Kali GNU/Linux (at ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###). Those were 17 lines including the } on the last line. Then I run:
sudo nano /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and pasted it after the end of the menuentry 'Qubes, with Xen hypervisor' (marked with a })

However I think this is not the best way to do it as that file warns DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE. I will probably try later to edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then run sudo upgrade-grub.

This was thanks to user @alzer89 who answered my pm with instructions and @apparatus who also spent time on my problem. (ChatGPT was useless in this case). Now I need to make it survive updates, maybe I can make an script that inserts the code into the grub file and execute that script inside /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99post-update ? Maybe there is a simpler way?

Placing the Kali grub menu entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom should work.
But you may need to manually update this entry after Kali kernel update.