Drive no more bootable

Before I took the SSD out, it was working. Now it is no longer bootable.

Can someone maybe tell me what the problem is or help me out with an workaround?

Best regards

This does not look like a Qubes-specific problem, since the bootloader comes from Fedora. Perhaps you may have a better luck by asking on their forums. Also, you can try Qubes restore mode by booting the Qubes usb stick.

I get that error when I installed the OS in uefi and switched the bios to load in legacy.

Perhaps this can help: No boot screen for installation

I already have installed qubes on that drive and it ran until i disconnected the drive and connected it later. Also it displays no GRUB-Bootloader, because it seems that it was installed in UEFI-Mode.

Take a look at

Something like

efibootmgr -v -c -L QubesOS -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/xxx

should do the trick, where xxx is the primary partition of main disk containing the GPT table. E.g. /dev/sda1.

-d ( /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, where you store the /EFI/qubes/xen.efi ) then add -p ( 1 or 2 or 3, which partition )

Can you please explain your (for me) magic command? Is efibootmgr required for your command?

It’s still required take look in @moxi post.

efibootmgr -v -c -L QubesOS -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/xxx

-d /dev/xxx is not true, you should do -d ( /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, where you store the /EFI/qubes/xen.efi ) then add -p ( 1 or 2 or 3, which partition )

example of full command :

efibootmgr -v -c -u -L QubesOS -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/sdb -p 1

liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ efibootmgr -v -c -L QubesOS -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/sdb -p 1
EFI variables are not supported on this system.
[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$

I disabled secure boot and enabled csm in motherboard firmware, what i have done wrong?

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media
[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ cd /media/
[liveuser@localhost-live media]$ ls
EFI ‘System Volume Information’
[liveuser@localhost-live media]$

I tried it mounted and unmounted, both without success and same warning.

are you boot in bios ? try boot from uefi, then before you run this command :

liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ efibootmgr -v -c -L QubesOS -l /EFI/qubes/xen.efi -d /dev/sdb -p 1

are you sure that your efi partition is partition 1 and have device /dev/sdb ?

also with root not working

My thought is you’re boot in bios.

do you still have qubes os installer medium? can you boot and select rescue qubes os ? make sure that you boot in uefi mode.

you mean i boot in legacy mode?

Thank you very much!

How does one boot in UEFI mode? Doesn’t that require enabling Secure Boot?

Nope you didn’t need to enable secure boot to boot with uefi.

“The solution doesn’t work for me”.

I’m on a Framework laptop with 11th gen CPU and my Qubes disk decided to be not bootable anymore after a week or so of working, like the subject of this post. I have tried all variants of efibootmgr . I reboot into the machine’s boot chooser with F12, and choose the Qubes disk (an NVME SSD, which was internal but is now in an external USB box, which has successfully booted other OSes). In all cases it immediately comes back to the boot chooser screen, after displaying (for such a microscopic period of time I initially missed it, btw), the messages:
Xen 4.14.5 (c/s) EFI loader
No configuration file found
Boot succeeded - QubesOS

That’s odd because I was able in Rescue mode shell to mount the sd?1 EFI partition manually on /mnt, and the file name I used with efibootmgr, /EFI/qubes/xen.efi does in fact exist.

fdisk reports the partition table on this disk to be intact, with one EFI partition and two Linux Filesystem partitions, one 1G and the other 930G. MS Disk Management also seems OK with it:

This, btw, is the second time this happened - the first time I did a full reinstall, and it stayed around a few more days, then stopped being bootable. Have never had this much trouble with any OS on any computer - at least that I can still remember :slight_smile:

I am at a loss how to proceed. TIA if you can help.

Offtopic

Oh, no. Qubes OS disk mounted in Windows…